Monetary Policy and the Distribution of Wealth in a OLG Economy with Heterogeneous Agents, Money and Bequests
We develop an OLG model in which the distribution of wealth makes monetary policy non-superneutral at the individual level. In other words monetary policy may have distributional consequences. We demonstrate that in a representative agent economy, monetary policy would be superneutral both at the individual and at the aggregate level. On the contrary if agents differ from one another as far as income and wealth are concerned, there exists a mean field effect that makes money non-superneutral at the individual level.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Ateneo Nuovo, 1 Milano 20126|
Phone: +39 02 6448 3089
Fax: +39 02 6448 3085
Web page: http://dems.unimib.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-298, April.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Discussion Papers 911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Oded Galor & Daniel Tsiddon, 1996.
"The Distribution of Human Capital and Economic Growth,"
1996-32, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Galor, Oded & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1997. "The Distribution of Human Capital and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 93-124, March.
- Galor, O. & Tsiddon, D., 1996. "The Distribution of Human Capital and Economic Growth," Papers 18-96, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1982.
"The Role of Overlapping-Generations Models in Monetary Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
0989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1983. "The role of overlapping-generations models in monetary economics," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 9-44, January.
- Roland Benabou, 1996.
NBER Working Papers
5583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52.
- Benabou, R., 1996.
"Inequality and Growth,"
96-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Owen, Ann L. & Weil, David N., 1998.
"Intergenerational earnings mobility, inequality and growth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 71-104, February.
- Ann L. Owen & David N. Weil, 1997. "Intergenerational Earnings Mobility, Inequality, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 6070, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10096 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 2000.
"Macroeconomics of distribution and growth,"
Handbook of Income Distribution,
in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 477-540
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep, 1998.
"Credit Market Imperfections, Income Distribution, and Capital Accumulation,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5105, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Joydeep Bhattacharya, 1997. "Credit market imperfections, income distribution, and capital accumulation," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(1), pages 171-200.
- Grossman, Herschel I., 1995. "Robin hood and the redistribution of property income," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-410, September.
- Thomas Piketty, 1997. "The Dynamics of the Wealth Distribution and the Interest Rate with Credit Rationing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 173-189.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1981. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Distribution of Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 843-867, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mib:wpaper:60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Pelagatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.