Aggregation and Other Biases in the Calculation of Consumer Elasticities for Models of Arbitrary Rank
Consumer-related policy decisions often require analysis of aggregate responses or mean elasticities. However, in practice these mean elasticities are seldom used. Mean elasticities can be approximated using aggregate data, but that introduces aggregation bias for full and compensated price elasticities, though interestingly not for expenditure elasticities. The biases corresponding to incorrect approximations of mean elasticities depend on the type of data (micro or aggregate), the type and rank of the model, and generalized measures of income inequality. These biases are distinct from the biases (already noted in the literature) when using aggregate data to estimate micro elasticites at mean income.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.mcmaster.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1990. "Income distribution movements and aggregate money illusion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 35-42.
- Blundell, Richard & Meghir, Costas & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993.
"Aggregation and consumer behaviour: some recent results,"
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 235-252, September.
- Richard Blundell & Costas Meghir & Guglielmo Weber, 1993. "Aggregation and consumer behaviour: some recent results," IFS Working Papers W93/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-597, June.
- Frank Denton & Dean Mountain, 2004. "Aggregation effects on price and expenditure elasticities in a quadratic almost ideal demand system," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(3), pages 613-628, August.
- Frank T. Denton & Dean C. Mountain, 2002. "Aggregation Effects on Price and Expenditure Elasticities in a Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 374, McMaster University.
- Howe, Howard & Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1979. "Theory and Time Series Estimation of the Quadratic Expenditure System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1231-1247, September.
- Denton, Frank T. & Mountain, Dean C., 2001. "Income distribution and aggregation/disaggregation biases in the measurement of consumer demand elasticities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 21-28, October.
- Slottje, Daniel, 2008. "Estimating demand systems and measuring consumer preferences," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 207-209, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:qseprr:447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.