Improving The Efficiency And Robustness Of The Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator
The binary-response maximum score (MS) estimator is a robust estimator, which can accommodate heteroskedasticity of an unknown form; J. Horowitz (1992) defined a smoothed maximum score estimator SMS) and demonstrated that this improves the convergence rate for sufficiently smooth conditional error densities. In this paper we relax Horowitz’s smoothness assumptions of the model and extend his asymptotic results. We also derive a joint limiting distribution of estimators with different bandwidths and smoothing kernels. We construct an estimator that combines SMS estimators for different bandwidths and kernels to overcome the uncertainty over choice of bandwidth when the degree of smoothnes of error distribution is unknown. A Monte Carlo study demonstrates the gains in efficiency and robustness.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 398-3030
Fax: (514) 398-4938
Web page: http://www.repec.mcgill.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2002. "Asymptotic Theory For Some High Breakdown Point Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(05), pages 1172-1196, October.
- Manski, Charles F. & Thompson, T. Scott, 1986. "Operational characteristics of maximum score estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-108, June.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2002. "Bootstrap critical values for tests based on the smoothed maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 141-167, December.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1999.
"Semiparametric Qualitative Response Model Estimation with Unknown Heteroskedasticity or Instrumental Variables,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
454, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2000. "Semiparametric qualitative response model estimation with unknown heteroscedasticity or instrumental variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 145-177, July.
- Manski, Charles F., 1985. "Semiparametric analysis of discrete response : Asymptotic properties of the maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 313-333, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcl:mclwop:2004-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shama Rangwala)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Shama Rangwala to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.