Poverty, Inequality and Stochastic Dominance, Theory and Practice: Illustration with Burkina Faso Surveys
In this paper we provide a set of rules that can be used to check poverty or inequality dominance using discrete data. Existing theoretical rules assumes continuity in incomes or in percentiles of population. In reality, with the form of household surveys, this continuity does not exist. However, the said discontinuity can be exploited in testing the stochastic dominance. Moreover, in this paper, we proprose the stochastic dominance conditions that take into account the statistical robustness in testing the stochastic dominance. Findings of this paper are illustrated using the Burkina Faso's household surveys for the years of 1994 and 1998.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 987-8161
Web page: http://www.cirpee.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Cahiers de recherche
9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-77, January.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:lacicr:0634. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.