Poverty, Inequality and Stochastic Dominance, Theory and Practice: Illustration with Burkina Faso Surveys
In this paper we provide a set of rules that can be used to check poverty or inequality dominance using discrete data. Existing theoretical rules assumes continuity in incomes or in percentiles of population. In reality, with the form of household surveys, this continuity does not exist. However, the said discontinuity can be exploited in testing the stochastic dominance. Moreover, in this paper, we proprose the stochastic dominance conditions that take into account the statistical robustness in testing the stochastic dominance. Findings of this paper are illustrated using the Burkina Faso's household surveys for the years of 1994 and 1998.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP 8888, succursale Centre-Ville, Montréal, QC H3C 3P8|
Phone: (514) 987-8161
Web page: http://www.cirpee.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Cahiers de recherche
9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," LIS Working papers 181, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-177, January.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:lacicr:0634. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.