Conditions Ensuring the Separability of Asset Demand for All Risk-Averse Investors
We explore how the demand for a risky asset can be separated into an investment effect and a hedging effect by all risk-averse investors. This question has been shown to be complex when considered outside of the mean-variance framework. We restrict dependence among returns on the risky assets to regression dependence and find that the demand for one risky asset can be decomposed into an investment component based on the risk premium offered by the asset and a hedging component used against fluctuations in the return on the other risky asset. We also show that the class of regression dependent distributions is larger than that of two-fund separating distributions. This conclusion opens up the search for broader distributional hypotheses suitable to asset-pricing models. Examples are discussed.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 987-8161
Web page: http://www.cirpee.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross, Stephen A., 1978. "Mutual fund separation in financial theory--The separating distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 254-286, April.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Beaulieu, Marie-Claude & Khalaf, Lynda, 2003.
"Testing mean-variance efficiency in CAPM with possibly non-gaussian errors: an exact simulation-based approach,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2003,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Marie-Claude Beaulieu & Jean-Marie Dufour & Lynda Khalaf, 2002. "Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency in CAPM with Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors: an Exact Simulation-Based Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-85, CIRANO.
- Marie-Claude BEAULIEU & Jean-Marie DUFOUR & Lynda KHALAF, 2002. "Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency In Capm With Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors : An Exact Simulation-Based Approach," Cahiers de recherche 17-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BEAULIEU, Marie-Claude & DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda., 2002. "Testing Mean-Variance Efficiency in CAPM with Possibly Non-Gaussian Errors : An Exact Simulation-Based Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-17, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- DENUIT, Michel & SAILLET, Olivier, 2001. "Nonparametric Tests for Positive Quadrant Dependence," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001009, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 01 Apr 2001.
- Elton, Edwin J. & Gruber, Martin J., 2000. "The Rationality of Asset Allocation Recommendations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(01), pages 27-41, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:lacicr:0411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.