Nonparametric Tests for Positive Quadrant Dependence
We consider distributional free inference to test for positive quadrant dependence, i.e. for the probability that two variables are simultaneously small (or) large being at least as great as it would be were they dependent. Tests for its generalisation in higher dimensions, namely positive orthant dependences, are also analysed. We propose two types of testing procedures. The first procedure is based on the specification of the dependence concepts in terms of distribution functions, while the second procedure exploits the copula representation. For each specification a distance test and an intersection-union test for inequality constraints are developed depending on the definition of null and alternative hypotheses. An empirical illustration is given for US and Danish insurance claim data. Practical implications for the design of reinsurance treaties are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:||01 Apr 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Dachraoui & G. Dionne, 2000.
"Optimal Financial Portfolio and Dependence of Risky Assets,"
THEMA Working Papers
2000-57, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Dachraoui, K. & Dionne, G., 2000. "Optimal Financial Portfolio and Dependence of Risky Assets," Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- 00-12, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- Haim Levy, 1992. "Stochastic Dominance and Expected Utility: Survey and Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 555-593, April.
- Milgrom, Paul R & Weber, Robert J, 1982.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1089-1122, September.
- Jean Pinquet, 1998.
"Designing optimal bonus-malus systems from different types of claims,"
- Pinquet, J., 1998. "Designing Optimal Bonus-Malus Systems from Different Types of Claims," Papers 9819, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- J. Pinquet, 1998. "Designing optimal bonus-malus systems from different types of claims," THEMA Working Papers 98-19, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Kaur, Amarjot & Prakasa Rao, B.L.S. & Singh, Harshinder, 1994. "Testing for Second-Order Stochastic Dominance of Two Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 849-866, December.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Pollard, David, 1985. "New Ways to Prove Central Limit Theorems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 295-313, December.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Testing inequality constraints in linear econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 205-235, June.
- Klugman, Stuart A. & Parsa, Rahul, 1999. "Fitting bivariate loss distributions with copulas," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 139-148, March.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Holly, Alberto & Monfort, Alain, 1982. "Likelihood Ratio Test, Wald Test, and Kuhn-Tucker Test in Linear Models with Inequality Constraints on the Regression Parameters," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Charles M. Beach & Russell Davidson, 1983. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference with Lorenz Curves and Income Shares," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 723-735.
- O. Scaillet, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation and Sensitivity Analysis of Expected Shortfall," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 115-129.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Antonio Forcina, 1999. "Inference for Lorenz curve orderings," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 49-75.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Denuit, Michel & Dhaene, Jan & Ribas, Carmen, 2001. "Does positive dependence between individual risks increase stop-loss premiums?," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 305-308, June.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Local and Global Testing of Linear and Nonlinear Inequality Constraints in Nonlinear Econometric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 1-35, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2001009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.