Financial frictions and the K/L ratio in UK manufacturing industries
Using comprehensive financial data on UK unquoted firms, we investigate whether technological differences of UK manufacturing industries influence the response of firms' capital-labour ratio (K/L) to changes in financial indicators under capital market imperfections. The results reveal that cash flow has a positive impact on the K/L ratio for constrained firms in high tech industries and a negative impact for firms with similar characteristics in low tech industries. Specifically, the sensitivity of the K/L ratio to cash flow not only depends on firms' net worth and financial frictions, but most importantly on firms' industry affiliation.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU|
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Hatzichronoglou, 1997. "Revision of the High-Technology Sector and Product Classification," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 1997/2, OECD Publishing.
- Bond, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 2007. "Microeconometric Models of Investment and Employment," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 65 Elsevier.
- Stephen Nickell & Daphne Nicolitsas, 1995.
"How does financial pressure affect firms?,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20698, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1995. "How Does Financial Pressure Affect Firms?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0266, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, S. & Nicolitsas, D., 1995. "How Does Financial Pressure Affect Firms," Economics Series Working Papers 99170, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2004. "The Cash Flow Sensitivity of Cash," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1777-1804, 08.
- Guariglia, Alessandra, 2008.
"Internal financial constraints, external financial constraints, and investment choice: Evidence from a panel of UK firms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1795-1809, September.
- Alessandra Guariglia, . "Internal financial constraints, external financial constraints, and investment choice: Evidence from a panel of UK firms," Discussion Papers 07/03, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1991.
"Monetary policy and credit conditions: evidence from the composition of external finance,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
154, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kashyap, Anil K & Stein, Jeremy C & Wilcox, David W, 1993. "Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence from the Composition of External Finance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 78-98, March.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1992. "Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence From the Composition of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 4015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen & Devereux, Michael & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1992. "Investment and Tobin's Q: Evidence from company panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 233-257.
- Spiros Bougheas & Paul Mizen & Cihan Yalcin, 2004. "Access to External Finance : Theory and Evidence on the Impact of Firm-Specific Characteristics," Working Papers 0406, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Mizen, Paul & Vermeulen, Philip, 2005. "Corporate investment and cash flow sensitivity: what drives the relationship?," Working Paper Series 0485, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lbo:lbowps:2010_7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.