Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes and Price Stability: Evidence from MENA Countries
In this study, we empirically test whether pegged regime was successful in achieving and maintaining consistently low inflation rates in 17 MENA countries over the period of 1980-2007. Taking into account unobserved country heterogeneity, as well as, the endogeneity of exchange rate regimes we estimate a dynamic panel data model of the effects of exchange rate regimes on inflation using officially announced exchange rate regimes in addition to de facto regimes in place. Our findings suggest a strong link between the choice of the exchange rate regime and inflation performance.[...]
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Raymond Dugrand, CS 79606, 34960 Montpellier Cedex 2|
Web page: http://www.lameta.univ-montp1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul De Grauwe & Gunther Schnabl, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Stability in Central and Eastern Europe,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1182, CESifo Group Munich.
- Paul De Grauwe & Gunther Schnabl, 2004. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Stability in Central and Eastern Europe," International Finance 0404011, EconWPA.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Jonathan D. Ostry & Holger C. Wolf, 1997.
"Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
5874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Anne-Marie Gulde & Jonathan D. Ostry & Holger C. Wolf, 1997. "Does The Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?," Working Papers 97-09, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Anne Marie Gulde & Atish R. Ghosh & Holger C. Wolf, 1995. "Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Matter?," IMF Working Papers 95/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul De Grauwe & Gunther Schnabl, 2008. "Exchange Rate Stability, Inflation, and Growth in (South) Eastern and Central Europe," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 530-549, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lam:wpaper:10-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Modat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.