Unveiling Participant Level Determinants of Unit Non-Response in Business Tendency Surveys
Business Tendency Surveys (BTS) continue to be an important source of timely informa- tion on business cycles in many countries. We address quality of economic survey data by uncovering the relation between unit non-response and participant characteristics on company respectively respondent level. We use a unique, matched dataset that merges rich business tendency survey panel data with data from an exclusively conducted meta survey. Our meta information enhances the set of rm characteristics by information such as valuation of business tendency surveys or perceived response burden. We use dierent count data models to explain non-response count. Our models include weighted count data regressions as well as a two part hurdle model. We nd that response burden, a company's survey track record, timeliness and participation mode are the strongest and most robust predictors of unit non-response. We also nd a weaker negative eect of the business situation on unit response. Remarkably we do not nd a signicant in uence of neither company size nor valuation of BTS on the propensity to respond to periodical qualitative BTS.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Leonhardstrasse 21, CH-8092 Zürich|
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Seiler, 2013. "Nonresponse in Business Tendency Surveys: Theoretical Discourse and Empirical Evidence," ifo Beiträge zur Wirtschaftsforschung, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 52, 04.
- Klaus Abberger & Matthias Bannert & Andreas Dibiasi, 2014. "Metaumfrage im Dienstleistungssektor," KOF Analysen, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich, vol. 8(2), pages 51-62, June.
- Zeileis, Achim, 2004. "Econometric Computing with HC and HAC Covariance Matrix Estimators," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 11(i10).
- Zeileis, Achim, 2006. "Object-oriented Computation of Sandwich Estimators," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 16(i09).
- Klaus Abberger & Manuel Birnbrich & Christian Seiler, 2009. "Der Â»Test des TestsÂ« im Handel â€“ eine Metaumfrage zum ifo Konjunkturtest," ifo Schnelldienst, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 62(21), pages 34-41, November.
- Zeileis, Achim & Kleiber, Christian & Jackman, Simon, 2008. "Regression Models for Count Data in R," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 27(i08).