Evidence from Spatial Correlation of Poverty and Income in Kenya
Using the district-level data, we found that even in a relatively poor country like Kenya, ethnic diversity is associated with better economic outcomes at local level. However, we found that income spillovers depend on ethnic similarity. This suggests the influence of ethnic bias through which ethnic diversity may undermine economic efficiency at the national-level, as many crosscountry regressions have pointed out. This result implies, for policy making, that the question of interregional transaction costs cannot be narrowly focused on problems of transportation infrastructure but it is also related with ethnic divisions in African context.
|Date of creation:||14 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://jica-ri.jica.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maarten Bosker & Harry Garretsen, 2012.
"Economic Geography and Economic Development in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 26(3), pages 443-485.
- Maarten Bosker & Harry Garretsen, 2008. "Economic Geography and Economic Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," CESifo Working Paper Series 2490, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," Scholarly Articles 4553005, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Montalvo, Jose G. & Reynal-Querol, Marta, 2005. "Ethnic diversity and economic development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 293-323, April.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2005.
"Ethnic Diversity, Market Structure and Risk Sharing in Developing Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5366, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Zenou, Yves, 2006. "Ethnic diversity market structure and risk sharing in developing countries," MPRA Paper 38435, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert H. Bates, 2000. "Ethnicity and Development in Africa: A Reappraisal," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 131-134, May.
- Miguel, Edward & Gugerty, Mary Kay, 2005. "Ethnic diversity, social sanctions, and public goods in Kenya," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2325-2368, December.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2010. "Economic geography and African development," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(3), pages 469-483, 08.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062364, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jic:wpaper:35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Japan International Cooperation Agency Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.