Directional imbalance of freight rates : evidence from Japanese inter-prefectural data
By analyzing a comprehensive dataset on transport transactions in Japan, we describe a directional imbalance in freight rates by transport mode and examine its potential sources, such as economies of density and directionally imbalanced transport flow. There are certain numbers of observed links which show asymmetric transport costs. Instrumental variable analysis is used to show that economies of density account for deviation from symmetric freight rates between prefectures. Our results show that a 10% increase in outbound transport flow relative to inbound transport flow leads to a 2.1% decrease in outbound freight rate relative to inbound freight rate.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 441. 2014.1|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael P. Murray, 2006. "Avoiding Invalid Instruments and Coping with Weak Instruments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 111-132, Fall.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & GAIGNE, Carl, .
"Density (dis)economies in transportation: revisiting the core-periphery model,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1944, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Carl Gaigne & Kristian Behrens, 2006. "Density (dis)economies in transportation: revisiting the core-periphery model," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 18(5), pages 1-7.
- Kristian Behrens & Carl GaignÃ©, 2006. "Density (dis)economies in transportation: revisiting the core-periphery model," Working Papers 11461, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Takahashi, Takaaki, 2011. "Directional imbalance in transport prices and economic geography," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 92-102, January.
- Kristian Behrens & Pierre M. Picard, 2011.
"Transportation, freight rates, and economic geography,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
11-02, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Behrens, Kristian & Picard, Pierre M., 2011. "Transportation, freight rates, and economic geography," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 280-291.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & PICARD, Pierre M., 2008. "Transportation, freight rates, and economic geography," CORE Discussion Papers 2008040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper441. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.