Sources of fluctuations in parallel exchange rates and policy reform in Myanmar
Myanmar maintained a multiple exchange rate system, and the parallel market exchange rate was left untamed. In the last two decades, the Myanmar kyat exchange rate of the parallel market has exhibited the sharpest fluctuations among Southeast Asian currencies in real terms. Since the move to a managed float regime in April 2012, the question arises of whether exchange rate policies will be effective in stabilizing the real exchange rate. This paper investigates the sources of fluctuations in the real effective exchange rate using Blanchard and Quahâ€™s (1989) structural vector autoregression model. As nominal shocks can be created by exchange rate policies, a persistent impact of a nominal shock implies more room for exchange rate policies. Decomposition of the fluctuations into nominal and real shocks indicates that the impact of nominal shocks is small and quickly diminishes, implying that complementary sterilization is necessary for effective foreign exchange market interventions.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 388. 2013.2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lastrapes, William D, 1992. "Sources of Fluctuations in Real and Nominal Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 530-39, August.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance,"
497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sean TURNELL, 2011. "Fundamentals of Myanmar's Macroeconomy: A Political Economy Perspective," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 6(1), pages 136-153, 06.
- Masahiro Hori & Yu Ching Wong, 2013. "Costs of Myanmar's multiple exchange-rate regime," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 209-233, March.
- Masahiro Hori & Yu Ching Wong, 2008. "Efficiency Costs of Myanmarâ€™s Multiple Exchange Rate Regime," IMF Working Papers 08/199, International Monetary Fund.
- Seiha Ok & Makoto Kakinaka & Hiroaki Miyamoto, 2010.
"Real Shock Or Nominal Shock? Exchange Rate Movements In Cambodia And Lao Pdr,"
The Singapore Economic Review (SER),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(04), pages 685-703.
- Seiha Ok & Makoto Kakinaka & Hiroaki Miyamoto, 2010. "Real Shock or Nominal Shock? Exchange Rate Movements in Cambodia and Lao PDR," Working Papers EMS_2010_05, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Takeshi Inoue & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009.
"What Explains Real and Nominal Exchange Rate Fluctuations?: Evidence from SVAR Analysis for India,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2803-2815.
- Inoue, Takeshi & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2009. "What Explains Real and Nominal Exchange Rate Fluctuations? Evidence from SVAR Analysis for India," IDE Discussion Papers 216, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- In-Bong Ha & Bong-Soo Lee & Chongcheul Cheong, 2007. "What Caused the Korean Currency Crisis in 1997? *: Weak Fundamentals or Self-fulfilling Expectations ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 195-206, 06.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Corden, W M, 1984. "Booming Sector and Dutch Disease Economics: Survey and Consolidation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 359-80, November.
- Saxena, Sweta Chaman, 2002. "Exchange rate dynamics in Indonesia: 1980-1998," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 545-563.
- Enders, Walter & Lee, Bong-Soo, 1997. "Accounting for real and nominal exchange rate movements in the post-Bretton Woods period," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 233-254, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper388. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.