Cigarettes and Addiction Information: New Evidence in Support of the Rational Addiction Model
A 1979 U.S. Surgeon General's report provided the first conclusive public information of nicotine's addictive effects. We test the hypothesis that cigarette demand was of a "myopic" nature prior to 1979, but forward-looking, or "rational," thereafter.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economics Letters, July 2001, vol. 72 no. 1, pp. 39-45|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990.
"An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction,"
NBER Working Papers
3322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 61, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Frank J. Chaloupka, 1990.
"Rational Addictive Behavior and Cigarette Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
3268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Winston, Gordon C., 1980. "Addiction and backsliding : A theory of compulsive consumption," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 295-324, December.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1990. "A note on the Lagrange multiplier and F-statistics for two stage least squares regressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 151-155, October.
- Showalter, Mark H., 1999. "Firm behavior in a market with addiction: the case of cigarettes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 409-427, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:5117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.