Harvest Efficiency and Discards under Harvest Uncertainty and Trading Frictions
We study harvesting efficiency and the problem of discards under harvest uncertainty in a fishery that is managed with quotas. With only idiosyncratic harvest uncertainty, we show that frictionless post harvest quota trade can achieve full efficiency and eliminate quota-overage discards completely. In the absence of such trade, we deduce an ad-valorem tax/subsidy that eliminates discards while delivering a desired aggregate harvest target. Alternatively, we show that a hybrid policy, i.e., a combined quota and landings fee, can implement a manager's aggregate target harvest level efficiently and without discards. When harvest shocks, in addition, have a fishery-wide common component, post-harvest quota trading per se cannot eliminate discards; policy intervention in the form of either landing taxes or a hybrid scheme is needed. Given the prevalence of trading restrictions in many quota-managed fisheries worldwide, our paper offers important policy advice.
|Date of creation:||02 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of Environmental Economics and Management|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanchirico, James N. & Holland, Daniel & Quigley, Kathryn & Fina, Mark, 2006. "Catch-quota balancing in multispecies individual fishing quotas," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 767-785, November.
- Squires, Dale & Campbell, Harry & Cunningham, Stephen & Dewees, Christopher & Grafton, R Quentin & Herrick, Samuel F & Kirkley, James & Pascoe, Sean & Salvanes, Kjell & Shallard, Bruce & Turris, Bruce, 1998. "Individual transferable quotas in multispecies fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 135-159, March.
- Stavins Robert N., 1995. "Transaction Costs and Tradeable Permits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 133-148, September.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978.
"The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Herrera, Guillermo E., 2005. "Stochastic bycatch, informational asymmetry, and discarding," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 463-483, May.
- Squires, Dale, 1987. "Fishing effort: Its testing, specification, and internal structure in fisheries economics and management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 268-282, September.
- Holland, D.S., 2010. "Markets, pooling and insurance for managing bycatch in fisheries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 121-133, November.
- Boyce, John R., 1996. "An Economic Analysis of the Fisheries Bycatch Problem," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 314-336, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:35039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.