Harvest Efficiency and Discards under Harvest Uncertainty and Trading Frictions
We study harvesting efficiency and the problem of discards under harvest uncertainty in a fishery that is managed with quotas. With only idiosyncratic harvest uncertainty, we show that frictionless post harvest quota trade can achieve full efficiency and eliminate quota-overage discards completely. In the absence of such trade, we deduce an ad-valorem tax/subsidy that eliminates discards while delivering a desired aggregate harvest target. Alternatively, we show that a hybrid policy, i.e., a combined quota and landings fee, can implement a manager's aggregate target harvest level efficiently and without discards. When harvest shocks, in addition, have a fishery-wide common component, post-harvest quota trading per se cannot eliminate discards; policy intervention in the form of either landing taxes or a hybrid scheme is needed. Given the prevalence of trading restrictions in many quota-managed fisheries worldwide, our paper offers important policy advice.
|Date of creation:||02 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of Environmental Economics and Management|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Squires, Dale & Campbell, Harry & Cunningham, Stephen & Dewees, Christopher & Grafton, R Quentin & Herrick, Samuel F & Kirkley, James & Pascoe, Sean & Salvanes, Kjell & Shallard, Bruce & Turris, Bruce, 1998. "Individual transferable quotas in multispecies fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 135-159, March.
- Stavins Robert N., 1995. "Transaction Costs and Tradeable Permits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 133-148, September.
- Herrera, Guillermo E., 2005. "Stochastic bycatch, informational asymmetry, and discarding," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 463-483, May.
- Squires, Dale, 1987. "Fishing effort: Its testing, specification, and internal structure in fisheries economics and management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 268-282, September.
- Holland, D.S., 2010. "Markets, pooling and insurance for managing bycatch in fisheries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 121-133, November.
- Boyce, John R., 1996. "An Economic Analysis of the Fisheries Bycatch Problem," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 314-336, November.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978.
"The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Sanchirico, James N. & Holland, Daniel & Quigley, Kathryn & Fina, Mark, 2006. "Catch-quota balancing in multispecies individual fishing quotas," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 767-785, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:35039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.