Cap-and-trade bycatch management with costly avoidance and stock uncertainty
Regulations to reduce bycatch of non-marketed marine species often impose gear restrictions, reductions in harvest of the target species, and/or spatial and temporal closures of the fishing ground. These regulations can exact significant social costs in commercial fisheries. We evaluate performance of a cap-and-trade bycatch management policy. Harvest of a target fish species, costly avoidance of the bycatch species, and harvesting efficiency is examined in a stochastic production environment with and without at-sea observability of bycatch, and with and without trade in harvest quotas and bycatch caps. Our results suggest that a precise implementation of a socially optimal management plan is possible only if bycatch is observable and trade in fish quotas and bycatch cap is frictionless. Conditions exist in which quota/permit trading raises bycatch relative to a no trade environment. The results offer useful guidance for designing cap-and-trade bycatch management programs.
|Date of creation:||08 Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, Rajesh & Weninger, Quinn, 2009. "Bioeconomies of scope and the discard problem in multiple-species fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 72-92, July.
- Turner, Matthew A., 1997. "Quota-Induced Discarding in Heterogeneous Fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 186-195, June.
- Pascoe, Sean & Innes, James & Holland, Dan & Fina, Mark & ThÃ©baud, Olivier & Townsend, Ralph & Sanchirico, James & Arnason, Ragnar & Wilcox, Chris & Hutton, Trevor, 2010. "Use of Incentive-Based Management Systems to Limit Bycatch and Discarding," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, now publishers, vol. 4(2), pages 123-161, October.
- Abbott, Joshua K. & Wilen, James E., 2009. "Regulation of fisheries bycatch with common-pool output quotas," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 195-204, March.
- Boyce, John R., 1996. "An Economic Analysis of the Fisheries Bycatch Problem," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 314-336, November.
- Holland, D.S., 2010. "Markets, pooling and insurance for managing bycatch in fisheries," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 121-133, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:35320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.