Measuring Income Inequality in Euroland
In this paper we propose an aggregate measure of income inequality for the founding countries of the European monetary union. Applying the methodology of the Theil index we are able to derive a measure for Euroland as a whole by exploiting information from two data sets: the European Community Household Panel and the Luxembourg Income Study. The property of additive decomposability allows us to determine each country's contribution as well as that of each demographic group to overall income inequality. In addition the impact of government transfers on this inequality measure is assessed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2000|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Income and Wealth, 2001, vol. 47, no. 3,pp. 301-320|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11, Porte des Sciences, L-4366 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg|
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://iriss.ceps.lu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-625, April.
- Theil, Henri, 1979. "The measurement of inequality by components of income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 197-199.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-920, July.
- Frank A. Cowell, 1980. "On the Structure of Additive Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(3), pages 521-531.
- Kraus, Margit, 2000. "Social security strategies and redistributive effects in European social transfer systems," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-40, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Berry, Albert & Bourguignon, Francois & Morrisson, Christian, 1983. "The Level of World Inequality: How Much Can One Say?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 29(3), pages 217-241, September.
- Atkinson, A B, 1996.
"Income Distribution in Europe and the United States,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 15-28, Spring.
- Anthony Atkinson, 1995. "Income Distribution in Europe and the United States," LIS Working papers 133, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- A B Atkinson, 1995. "Income Distribution in Europe and the United States," Economics Papers 13 & 103., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Atkinson, A.B., 1995. "Income Distribution in Europe and United States," Economics Papers 103, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Peter Gottschalk & Timothy M. Smeeding, 1997. "Cross-National Comparisons of Earnings and Income Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 633-687, June.
- Theil, Henri & Theil, Henri, 1979. "World income inequality and its components," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 99-102. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)