Are hedge funds uncorrelated with financial markets? An empirical assessment
In this paper, we examine the correlations between hedge fund strategy indices and asset classes. Based on the Dynamic Conditional Correlation (DCC) GARCH Model, we estimate the correlations between hedge fund, stock, and bond indices during bull and bear markets. The results reveal that there are significant correlations between hedge funds and the stock market, especially during the recent financial crisis that took place from 2007 to 2009.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Capocci Daniel & Corhay Albert & Hübner Georges, 2004.
"Hedge Fund Performance and Persistence in Bull and Bear Markets,"
- Daniel Capocci & Albert Corhay & Georges Hubner, 2005. "Hedge fund performance and persistence in bull and bear markets," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 361-392.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A & Naik, Narayan & Ramadorai, Tarun, 2006.
"Hedge Funds: Performance, Risk and Capital Formation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5565, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Fung & David A. Hsieh & Narayan Y. Naik & Tarun Ramadorai, 2008. "Hedge Funds: Performance, Risk, and Capital Formation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1777-1803, 08.
- Mark Mitchell, 2001. "Characteristics of Risk and Return in Risk Arbitrage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2135-2175, December.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 1997. "Empirical Characteristics of Dynamic Trading Strategies: The Case of Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 275-302.
- Vikas Agarwal, 2004. "Risks and Portfolio Decisions Involving Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 63-98.
- Abugri, Benjamin A. & Dutta, Sandip, 2009. "Emerging market hedge funds: Do they perform like regular hedge funds?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 834-849, December.
- Nicole M. Boyson & Christof W. Stahel & René M. Stulz, 2010. "Hedge Fund Contagion and Liquidity Shocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1789-1816, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.