Financial Intermediation and Employment
In our model, there are entrepreneurs and other agents. The latter have labour and capital, but no entrepreneurship. They are employed for a wage, or they are self-employed (which is inefficient). If they are employed for a wage, they invest their capital in financial assets. Otherwise, they take up self-employment, which requires capital and leaves little scope for buying financial assets. It can then be shown that investment in financial assets and wage employment are positively correlated. The model helps explain why a small financial system and low wage employment are observed in less developed countries that have high cost of financial intermediation.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jnu.ac.in/Academics/Schools/SchoolOfInternationalStudies/CITD/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Johnson, 2000.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 22-27, May.
- Simon Johnson & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1999. "Tunnelling," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1887, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Simon Johnson & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Tunnelling," NBER Working Papers 7523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1999.
"Investor Protection and Corporate Valuation,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1882, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Fallon, Peter R. & Lucas, Robert E. B., 1993.
"Job security regulations and the dynamic demand for industrial labor in India and Zimbabwe,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 241-275, April.
- Peter R. Fallon & Robert E. B. Lucas, 1989. "Job Security Regulations and the Dynamic Demand for Industrial Labor in India and Zimbabwe," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 2, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- World Bank, 2001. "Finance for Growth : Policy Choices in a Volatile World," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13895.
- Greenwood, J. & Smith, B.D., 1995.
"Financial Markets in Development, and the Development of Financial Markets,"
RCER Working Papers
406, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Smith, Bruce D., 1997. "Financial markets in development, and the development of financial markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 145-181, January.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Stephane Straub, 2005.
"Informal Sector: The Credit Market Channel,"
ESE Discussion Papers
101, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1983.
"Non-Monetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in the Propagation of the Great Depression,"
NBER Working Papers
1054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983. "Nonmonetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in Propagation of the Great Depression," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 257-76, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, .
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
CRSP working papers
344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Yamada, Gustavo, 1996. "Urban Informal Employment and Self-Employment in Developing Countries: Theory and Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 289-314, January.
- Andrei Shleifer & Daniel Wolfenson, 2000.
"Investor Protection and Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Daniel Wolfenson, 2000. "Investor Protection and Equity Markets," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1906, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Simon C. Parker & Yacine Belghitar & Tim Barmby, 2005.
"Wage Uncertainty and the Labour Supply of Self-Employed Workers,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(502), pages C190-C207, 03.
- Simon Parker & Tim Barmby & Yacine Belghitar, 2004. "Wage Uncertainty And The Labour Supply Of Self-Employed Workers," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 67, Royal Economic Society.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1985. "Credit Markets and the Control of Capital," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(2), pages 133-52, May.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli, 2000.
"Household Portfolios in Italy,"
CSEF Working Papers
43, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209, April.
- Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick, 2001. "Finance for Growth: Policy Choices in a Volatile World," MPRA Paper 9929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Levine, Ross, 1992. "Financial intermediary services and growth," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 383-405, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:citdwp:09-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.