Traffic Accessibility and the Effect on Firms and Population in 99 Austrian Regions
In this paper we describe the EAR (regional economic accessibility) model to investigate the impact of the improvement of railroad infrastructure on regional GDP, population and firms growth in 99 Austrian regions. We evaluate the impact of four potential railroad infrastructure investment projects on the accessibility of Austrian regions, which is used to forecast future growth of these regions. Regional performance is measured by four variables, gross regional product, number of firms, population size, and employment. Eventually a ranking of these four projects is carried out for the first ten years of operation of the four potential investment projects. We show that the improvement of train accessibility has different impacts on regions with high and low overall performance.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-499, June.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Krugman, Paul, 2004.
"Agglomeration, integration and tax harmonisation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 2000. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," CEPR Discussion Papers 2630, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 2002. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," NBER Working Papers 9290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Baldwin; Paul Krugman, 2001. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," IHEID Working Papers 01-2001, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Polasek, Wolfgang & Berrer, Helmut, 2005. "Regional Growth in Central Europe. Long-term Effects of Population and Traffic Structure," Economics Series 172, Institute for Advanced Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.