Une Analyse de la Loi Electorale du 29 Juin 1820
In this article we use the theory of power indices to evaluate the respective influence of the two classes of electors in the polling method introduced by the electoral law of 29 June 1820, known as the law of “double vote”. We show in a simplified framework that the voting power of the “major” electors, who vote twice, is at least three to five times as much as the voting power of the “minor” voters, who vote only once. Classification JEL : D71 ; D72
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue Économique, vol. 65, n°3, 2014, p. 469-518.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lindner, Ines & Owen, Guillermo, 2007. "Cases where the Penrose limit theorem does not hold," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 232-238, May.
- Dan S Felsenthal & Moshé Machover, 2004. "Analysis of QM rules in the draft constitution for Europe proposed by the European Convention, 2003," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 23(1), pages 1-20, 08.
- Serguei Kaniovski, 2008. "The exact bias of the Banzhaf measure of power when votes are neither equiprobable nor independent," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 31(2), pages 281-300, August.
- Lindner, Ines & Machover, Moshe, 2004. "L.S. Penrose's limit theorem: proof of some special cases," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 37-49, January.
- Edelman, Paul H., 2004. "Voting power and at-large representation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 219-232, March.
- Guillermo Owen, 1972. "Multilinear Extensions of Games," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(5-Part-2), pages 64-79, January.
- Dan S. Felsenthal & Moshé Machover, 1998. "The Measurement of Voting Power," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1489.
- Chang, Pao-Li & Chua, Vincent C.H. & Machover, Moshe, 2006.
"L S Penrose's limit theorem: Tests by simulation,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 90-106, January.
- Pao-Li Chang & Vincent CH Chua & Moshe Machover, 2004. "LS Penrose’s limit theorem: Tests by simulation," Working Papers 26-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Moshé Machover & Dan S. Felsenthal, 2001. "The Treaty of Nice and qualified majority voting," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 18(3), pages 431-464. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)