Competition between Vertically Integrated Networks: a Generalized Model
Using the Laffont, Rey and Tirole (1998) framework, a model of competition between vertically integrated telecommunications networks in a deregulated environment is developed. Two local operators compete in linear and non linear tariffs (i.e. two-part tariffs) in the subscribers market. In addition, they are integrated downstream in a potentially competitive sector (i.e. long distance sector) where they face competition of other firms which require (one way) access to local networks as an "essential facility". The purpose of the paper is to introduce a "downstream" competition in the usual framework of network competition and to focus on how the one way access charges are set in an oligopolistic market. In a mature phase of the industry, the presence of competition in both local and long distance sectors leads to lower local and long distance tariffs. The strategic role of the two-way and one-way access charges is pointed out, with particular reference to the effect that the reciprocal (two-way) access charge has on competition in the complementary sector. Finally, in case of competition in two-part tariffs, the paper investigates: 1) the asymmetric case in which only one network is integrated; 2) the entry process when the two local networks have different coverage. The results show how the level of the two-way and one-way access charges affects the "level playing field" between networks.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armstrong, Mark, 1997. "Competition in Telecommunications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 64-82, Spring.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1998. "Network Interconnection in Telecommunications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 545-64, May.
- Federico Mini, 1999. "The Role of Incentives for Opening Monopoly Markets: Comparing GTE and RBOC Cooperation with Local Entrants," Industrial Organization 9907004, EconWPA.
- Nicholas Economides & Lawrence J. White, 1997.
"Access and Interconnection Pricing: How Efficient is the Efficient Component Pricing Rule?,"
- Nicholas Economides & Lawrence J. White, 1995. "Access and Interconnection Pricing: How Efficient is the Efficient Component Pricing Rule?," Working Papers 95-04, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Nicholas Economides & Giuseppe Lopomo & Glenn Woroch, 1997.
"Strategic Commitments and the Principle of Reciprocity in Interconnection Pricing,"
- Nicholas Economides & Giuseppe Lopomo & Glenn Woroch, 2005. "Strategic Commitments and the Principle of Reciprocity in Interconnection Pricing," Working Papers 05-10, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Armstrong, M. & Doyle, C. & Vickers, J., 1995.
"The access pricing problem: a synthesis,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9532, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 1999. "A model of competition in mobile communications," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 61-72, March.
- J. Gregory Sidak & William Baumol, 1994. "Toward Competition in Local Telephony," Books, American Enterprise Institute, number 52984, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:01-2000. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.