Short-Term Dependencies between the Volatility of Currency, Money and Capital Markets: The Case of Poland
The paper presents GARCH models for the Euro-Polish zloty and US dollar-Polish zloty currency rates. It applies the approach within which both the conditional variance function and the mean equation of the ARCH class model are expanded simultaneously. The basic regression equation incorporates causal dependencies between currency prices and the main characteristics of domestic and international currency, money and capital markets. The paper provides an insight into the currency market microstructure as the presented investigation takes into account the intradaily features of the market. Model selection and performance has been evaluated by the use of direction quality measures.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edinburgh EH14 4AS|
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/research/cert.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Y. Campbell & Sanford J. Grossman & Jiang Wang, 1993.
"Trading Volume and Serial Correlation in Stock Returns,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 905-939.
- John Y. Campbell & Sanford J. Grossman & Jiang Wang, 1992. "Trading Volume and Serial Correlation in Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 4193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Jiang & Grossman, Sanford & Campbell, John, 1993. "Trading Volume and Serial Correlation in Stock Returns," Scholarly Articles 3128710, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 1992. "A Simple Nonparametric Test of Predictive Performance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 561-565, October.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990. "A Simple, Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9021, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990. "A Simple Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance," Papers 29, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics,in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. " Heteroskedasticity in Stock Return Data: Volume versus GARCH Effects," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 221-229, March.
- Richard K. Lyons, 1996. "Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?," NBER Chapters,in: The Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets, pages 183-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard K. Lyons., 1995. "Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-243, University of California at Berkeley.
- Richard K. Lyons, 1995. "Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?," NBER Working Papers 4984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hwe:certdp:0409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Miller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.