Is more data better?
Conventional wisdom usually suggests that agents should use all the data they have to make the best possible prediction. In this paper, it is shown that agents may make better predictions by discarding old data if their model is mis-specified. The applicability of the results to some economic models is also demonstrated.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 1784-414228
Fax: +44 1784-439534
Web page: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/economics/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Egham Hill, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, UK.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:2:y:1998:i:3:p:287-321 is not listed on IDEAS
- Seppo Honkapohja & Kaushik Mitra, .
"Learning with Bounded Memory in Stochastic Models,"
00/42, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Honkapohja, S. & Mitra, K., 1999. "Learning with Bounded Memory in Stochastic Models," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 456, Department of Economics.
- Kaushik Mitra & Seppo Honkapohja, 1999. "Learning with Bounded Memory in Stochastic Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 221, Society for Computational Economics.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 1993. "Adaptive forecasts, hysteresis, and endogenous fluctuations," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-13.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1973. "Some International Evidence on Output-Inflation Tradeoffs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 326-34, June.
- Evans, G B A & Savin, N E, 1984. "Testing for Unit Roots: 2," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1241-69, September.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1998. "On the consistency of backward-looking expectations: The case of the cobweb," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 333-362, January.
- Evans, G B A & Savin, N E, 1981. "Testing for Unit Roots: 1," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 753-79, May.
- Hommes, Cars & Sorger, Gerhard, 1998. "Consistent Expectations Equilibria," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 287-321, September.
- Evans, George W. & Honkapohja, Seppo, 1999. "Learning dynamics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 449-542 Elsevier.
- Bray, Margaret, 1982. "Learning, estimation, and the stability of rational expectations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 318-339, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hol:holodi:0419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claire Blackman)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Claire Blackman to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.