Productivity development and privatisation of the potable water and sewage sector in Chile
The aim of this study is to investigate the effect of privatisation on productivity development in the Chilean potable water and sewage sector. We have access to high quality firm level data making it possible to study the effects on a firm level. Productivity development is studied by means of a Malmquist productivity index. Total productivity is divided into efficiency change and technical change. These three components are then analysed against privatisation with the use of a non-parametric Mann-Whitney test. The main result is that we do not find any significant effects of privatisation on productivity development.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University, SE 351 95 Växjö, Sweden|
Phone: +46 470 70 87 64
Web page: http://lnu.se/research-groups/cafo?l=en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saal, David S & Parker, David, 2001. "Productivity and Price Performance in the Privatized Water and Sewerage Companies of England and Wales," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 61-90, July.
- Estache, Antonio & Gomez-Lobo, Andres & Leipziger, Danny, 2001.
"Utilities Privatization and the Poor: Lessons and Evidence from Latin America,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1179-1198, July.
- Antonio Estache & A. Gomez-Lobo & D. Leipziger, 2001. "Utilities Privatization and the Poor: Lessons and evidence from Latin America," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43997, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Abdullah Al-Obaidan, 2002. "Efficiency effect of privatization in the developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 111-117.
- C. Lovell, 2003. "The Decomposition of Malmquist Productivity Indexes," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 437-458, November.
- Antonio Estache & MartÌn A. Rossi, 2002.
"How Different Is the Efficiency of Public and Private Water Companies in Asia?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 139-148, June.
- Antonio Estache & Martin Rossi, 2002. "How different is the efficiency of Public and Private Water Companies in Asia," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43984, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:vxcafo:2006_005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andreas Mångs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.