It Ain't Necessariy So
There are currently about 300,000 individuals receiving disability pension in Norway. A key question regarding the evolvement of the number of disabled workers is if the growth is related to the growth in the generosity of the pension system. This paper presents statistics on disability pensioners 1992-2001 and argues measurements of the generosity of the system has to be done with caution for several reasons. There is no clear link from the disablement process to the inflow of new disability pensioners. Further, I show that the ratio of disability pension to labor income vary with different definitions of the pension and income level.
|Date of creation:||28 Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parsons, Donald O, 1980. "Racial Trends in Male Labor Force Participation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 911-20, December.
- Bound, John & Burkhauser, Richard V., 1999. "Economic analysis of transfer programs targeted on people with disabilities," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 51, pages 3417-3528 Elsevier.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1980. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 117-34, February.
- Einar Bowitz, 1997. "Disability benefits, replacement ratios and the labour market. A time series approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(7), pages 913-923.
- Hernaes, Erik & Sollie, Marte & Strom, Steinar, 2000.
" Early Retirement and Economic Incentives,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 481-502, June.
- Bratberg, E., 1999.
"Disability Retirement in a Welfare State,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
190, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Jonathan Gruber, 2000.
"Disability Insurance Benefits and Labor Supply,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(6), pages 1162-1183, December.
- Holen, Dag S., 2007. "Pension Incentives, Labor Supply and Heterogeneous Pension Systems," Memorandum 18/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2008_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhiana Bergh-Seeley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.