Internal and External Knowledge – Innovation of Export Varieties
Firms in local industries maintain their capability to generate innovations by simultaneously exploiting internal and external knowledge resources. The paper introduces the notion variety triplet to distinguish individual export varieties, where a triplet is a unique combination of a firm, a product code and a destination country. For each date the set of variety triplets in each local industry records all remaining past product innovations. In view of this the paper examines how internal and external knowledge of local industries influence the industry’s scope and value of export varieties. The paper contributes to existing knowledge firstly by introducing variables that measure a local industry’s access to external supply of knowledge, divided into local and extra-local supply. Secondly, the paper sheds light on how internal and external knowledge influence the scope of product innovations in local industries, with firm-level data from Sweden. Thirdly, the paper compares the influence of knowledge on the entire set of variety triplets and on a separate set of recently introduced varieties.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borje Johansson & Hans Loof, 2008.
"Innovation Activities Explained By Firm Attributes And Location,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 533-552.
- Johansson, Börje & Lööf, Hans, 2006. "Innovation Activities Explained By Firm Attributes And Location," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 63, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Börje Johansson & John Quigley, 2003.
"Agglomeration and networks in spatial economies,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 165-176, October.
- Johansson, BÃ¶rje & Quigley, John M., 2004. "Agglomeration and Networks in Spatial Economies," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt6g49t7n4, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Martin Andersson & Börje Johansson, 2008. "Innovation Ideas and Regional Characteristics: Product Innovations and Export Entrepreneurship by Firms in Swedish Regions," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 193-224.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel, 2002.
"Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation,"
02/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," NBER Working Papers 8819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Innovating firms and aggregate innovation," Staff Report 300, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel S, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3248, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hasan Faruq, 2006. "New Evidence on Product Quality and Trade," Caepr Working Papers 2006-019, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Martin Andersson & Urban Gråsjö, 2009. "Spatial dependence and the representation of space in empirical models," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 159-180, March.
- Maryann Feldman, 1999. "The New Economics Of Innovation, Spillovers And Agglomeration: Areview Of Empirical Studies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 5-25.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.