Changing Export Structure According to Income Elasticity - Kaldor revisited
The competition for market shares has taken various routes over the years. The first factor that perhaps spring to mind is prices. Studies have also shown that advanced technology and superior quality of products are important in the competition for market shares. The purpose of this study is to explore whether changes in export and production structures in the OECD countries tend to incorporate the income sensitivity of demand for products and if a strategy of this kind is beneficial for the development of market shares. The theoretical framework is provided by Kaldor (1957, 1967 and 1970) and by the concept of non-homothetic preferences, first established by Engel (1857 and 1881). The results show that there has been an increased focus on high-income elastic products among the OECD countries. The strategy of concentrating export and production to the high income elastic products also seems to generate increases in market shares
|Date of creation:||08 Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendy Carlin & Andrew Glyn & John Van Reenen, 1999.
"Export Market Performance of OECD countries: an empirical examination of the role of cost competitiveness,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Carlin, Wendy & Glyn, Andrew & Van Reenen, John, 2001. "Export Market Performance of OECD Countries: An Empirical Examination of the Role of Cost Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(468), pages 128-62, January.
- Landesmann, M. & Snell, A., 1990.
"Structural Shifts In The Manufacturing Export Performance Of Oecd Economics,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9011, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Landesmann, M & Snell, A, 1993. "Structural Shifts in the Manufacturing Export Performance of OECD Economies," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 149-62, April-Jun.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 2000.
"A Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods under Nonhomothetic Preferences: Demand Complementarities, Income Distribution, and North-South Trade,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(6), pages 1093-1120, December.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1999. "A Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods under Non-homothetic Preferences: Demand Complementarities, Income Distribution, and North-South Trade," Discussion Papers 1241, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1988.
Working Papers Archives
1988001, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1996.
"Technology and Competitiveness,"
Working Papers Archives
1996548, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Jan Fagerberg & Mark Knell & Martin Srholec, 2004. "The Competitiveness of Nations: Economic Growth in the ECE Region," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20040223, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002.
"Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3300, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 472, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Reto Foellmi & Josef Zweilmueller, 2006. "Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth," 2006 Meeting Papers 342, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Reto Foellmi & Josef Zweimï¿½ller, . "Structural Change and the Kaldor Facts of Economic Growth," IEW - Working Papers 111, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Kaldor, Nicholas, 1970. "The Case for Regional Policies," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(3), pages 337-48, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0092. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.