A General Test for the Cointegrating Rank in Vector Autoregressive Models
The article proposes a general test for the cointegrating rank in vector autoregressive models. The test is based on the eigenvalues of the companion matrix, more precisely on the sum of the real parts of those closest to one. The roots of the companion matrix are often inspected as a diagnostic tool. Here this practice is elevated to the level of a formal test. The asymptotic distribution of the test statistic is derived and tabulated by simulation. The new test is compared with the likelihood ratio test. Neither one of the tests is dominating the other over the entire parameter space. The new test safeguards the researcher against making spurious inferences on the cointegrating rank in the presence of explosive roots and of integration of higher order than one. A numerical illustration is given. It is shown that the limiting distribution of the eigenvalues closest to one of the companion matrix is free of nuisance parameters, a useful result in its own right. When applied to a univariate autoregressive model, the augmented Dickey—Fuller test is obtained. The new test can be regarded as the multivariate version of the Dickey—Fuller coefficent test of a unit root. When there is a single common trend, the suggested test statistic has the same asymptotic distribution as the least squares estimate of the autoregressive coeficent in a univariate first order autoregressive model with a unit root. In the numerical application the test is applied to Swedish money demand data, and it is shown how to determine the cointegrating rank using the new test. The results from a small sample simulation experiment mimicking the actual data used in the application are also discussed.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 2003|
|Note:||This paper is published as: Ahlgren, Niklas and Nyblom, Jukka (2008), 'Tests against Stationary and Explosive Alternatives in Vector Autoregressive Models', Journal of Time Series Analysis, 29, 421-443.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hanken School of Economics, Arkadiankatu 22, P.O.B. 479; FIN 00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Phone: +358-9-431 331
Fax: +358-9-431 33 333
Web page: http://www.hanken.fi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Lee, Tae-Hwy, 1998.
"Pitfalls in testing for long run relationships,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 129-154, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Harris, David, 1997.
"Principal Components Analysis of Cointegrated Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 529-557, August.
- Harris, D., 1996. "Principal Components Analysis of Cointegrated Time Series," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 2/96, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1998.
"Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with an intercept,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,51, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut, 2000. "Testing For The Cointegrating Rank Of A Var Process With An Intercept," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 373-406, June.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-144, January.
- Toda, Hiro Y., 1995. "Finite Sample Performance of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks in Vector Autoregressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1015-1032, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:13:y:1997:i:4:p:529-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- Phillips, P. C. B. & Ouliaris, S., 1988. "Testing for cointegration using principal components methods," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 205-230.
- Hubrich, Kirstin & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1998.
"A review of systemscointegration tests,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,101, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:5:p:1015-32 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhb:hanken:0499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Staffan Dellringer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.