The Impact of State Lotteries and Casinos on State Bankruptcy Filings
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Kent R. Grote & Victor A. Matheson, 2014. "The Impact of State Lotteries and Casinos on State Bankruptcy Filings," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 121-135, March.
References listed on IDEAS
- Garrett, Thomas A. & Coughlin, Cletus C., 2009.
"Inter–Temporal Differences in the Income Elasticity of Demand for Lottery Tickets,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 62(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2007. "Inter-temporal differences in the income elasticity of demand for lottery tickets," Working Papers 2007-042, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ernie Goss & Edward Morse & John Deskins, 2009. "Have Casinos Contributed to Rising Bankruptcy Rates?," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 15(4), pages 456-469, November.
- Richard Thalheimer & Mukhtar M. Ali, 2004. "The Relationship of Pari-mutuel Wagering and Casino Gaming to Personal Bankruptcy," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(3), pages 420-432, July.
- Jonathan Guryan & Melissa S. Kearney, 2010. "Is Lottery Gambling Addictive?," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 90-110, August.
- Farrell, Lisa & Morgenroth, Edgar & Walker, Ian, 1999. " A Time Series Analysis of U.K. Lottery Sales: Long and Short Run Price Elasticities," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(4), pages 513-526, November.
- Kent Grote & Victor Matheson, 2007. "Examining the 'Halo Effect' in lotto games," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 307-310.
- Robert J. Williams & Robert T. Wood, 2007. "The Proportion of Ontario Gambling Revenue Derived from Problem Gamblers," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 33(3), pages 367-388, September.
- Nichols, Mark W. & Grant Stitt, B. & Giacopassi, David, 2000. "Casino gambling and bankruptcy in new United States casino jurisdictions," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 247-261, May.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:15:y:2009:i:4:p:456-469 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1999:89:9:1369-1376_4 is not listed on IDEAS
- de la Vina, Lynda & Bernstein, David, 2002. "The impact of gambling on personal bankruptcy rates," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 503-509.
- Robert Baumann & Victor A. Matheson, 2013.
"Estimating economic impact using ex post econometric analysis: cautionary tales,"
Chapters,in: The Econometrics of Sport, chapter 10, pages 169-188
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Robert Baumann & Victor Matheson & Gordon Gekko, 2011. "Estimating economic impact using ex post econometric analysis: Cautionary tales," Working Papers 1112, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Baumann & Victor Matheson, 2011. "Estimating economic impact using ex post econometric analysis: Cautionary tales," Working Papers 1103, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- John M. Barron & Michael E. Staten & Stephanie M. Wilshusen, 2002. "The Impact Of Casino Gambling On Personal Bankruptcy Filing Rates," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 440-455, October.
- Boardman, Barry & Perry, John J., 2007. "Access to gambling and declaring personal bankruptcy," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 789-801, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amir Borges Ferreira Neto & Collin D. Hodges & Hyunwoong Pyun, 2016. "Voting Dynamics and the Birth of State-owned Casinos in Kansas," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 36(1), pages 329-336.
- Barry Scholnick & Hyungsuk Byun, 2016. "Do Slot Machines Cause Bankruptcy? A Regulatory Natural Experiment with Exogenous Changes to Slot Locations," ERSA conference papers ersa16p607, European Regional Science Association.
- Byun, Hyungsuk & Scholnick, Barry & Byun, Hyungsuk, 2017. "Spatial Commitment Devices and Addictive Goods: Evidence from the Removal of Slot Machines from Bars," Working Papers 17-34, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
More about this item
Keywordslotto; lottery; public finance; gambling;
- K35 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Personal Bankruptcy Law
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2013-03-16 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-LAW-2013-03-16 (Law & Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hcx:wpaper:1302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/deholus.html .