Identifying and characterizing business and acceleration cycles of French jobseekers Identifying and characterizing business and acceleration cycles of French jobseekers
This paper examines the French jobseeker cycles from January 1997 to March 2015. First, we propose monthly turning point chronologies for the French jobseeker business and acceleration cycles through the non-parametric dating algorithm proposed by Bry and Boschan (1971) and the dating strategy suggested by Proietti (2005). Second, we analyze the main characteristics of these cycles, namely length, depth and shape, that are approximated by their measures of duration, amplitude, and excess, respectively. The chronologies indicate that the jobseekers series is currently in a long expansion phase of the business cycle since February 2008, and in a slowdown phase of the acceleration cycle since September 2014. We observe evidence of asymmetries across the phases of the business cycle in terms of duration and amplitude whereas these measures are rather symmetric for the phases of the acceleration cycle.
|Date of creation:||04 Jun 2015|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01160090|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine Doz & Anna Petronevich, 2015.
"Dating Business Cycle Turning Points for the French Economy: a MS-DFM approach,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
15009, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Catherine Doz & Anna Petronevich, 2015. "Dating Business Cycle Turning Points for the French Economy: a MS-DFM approach," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01159200, HAL.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002. "Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Gomez, Victor, 2001. "The Use of Butterworth Filters for Trend and Cycle Estimation in Economic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 365-373, July.
- Olivier Darné & Laurent Ferrara, 2011. "Identification of Slowdowns and Accelerations for the Euro Area Economy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(3), pages 335-364, 06.
- Darné, O. & Ferrara, L., 2009. "Identification of slowdowns and accelerations for the euro area economy," Working papers 239, Banque de France.
- Darné, Olivier & Ferrara, Laurent, 2009. "Identification of slowdowns and accelerations for the euro area economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7376, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Engel, J. & Haugh, D. & Pagan, A., 2005. "Some methods for assessing the need for non-linear models in business cycle analysis," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 651-662.
- James Engel & David Haugh & Adrian Pagan, 2004. "Some methods for assessing the need for non-linear models in business cycle analysis," CAMA Working Papers 2004-07, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Camacho, Maximo & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Saiz, Lorena, 2008. "Do European business cycles look like one?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 2165-2190, July.
- Máximo Camacho & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Lorena Saiz, 2005. "Do european business cycles look like one?," Working Papers 0518, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bry_71-1, Enero-Jun.
- Michael Artis & Massimiliano Marcellino & Tommaso Proietti, 2004. "Dating Business Cycles: A Methodological Contribution with an Application to the Euro Area," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(4), pages 537-565, 09.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 2005. "New algorithms for dating the business cycle," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 477-498, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-01160090. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.