High frequency trading in a Markov renewal model
We study an optimal high frequency trading problem within a market microstructure model aiming at a good compromise between accuracy and tractability. The stock price is modeled by a Markov Renewal Process (MRP), while market orders arrive in the limit order book via a point process correlated with the stock price, and taking into account the adverse selection risk. We apply stochastic control methods in this semi-Markov framework, and show how to reduce remarkably the complexity of the associated Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation by suitable change of variables that exploits the specific symmetry of the problem. We then handle numerically the remaining part of the HJB equation, simplified into an integro-ordinary differential equation, by a bidimensional Euler scheme. Statistical procedures and numerical tests for computing the optimal limit order strategies illustrate our results.
|Date of creation:||27 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00867113|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rene Carmona & Kevin Webster, 2012. "High Frequency Market Making," Papers 1210.5781, arXiv.org.
- Marco Avellaneda & Sasha Stoikov, 2008. "High-frequency trading in a limit order book," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 217-224.
- E. Bacry & S. Delattre & M. Hoffmann & J. F. Muzy, 2013.
"Modelling microstructure noise with mutually exciting point processes,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 65-77, January.
- E. Bacry & S. Delattre & M. Hoffmann & J. F. Muzy, 2011. "Modeling microstructure noise with mutually exciting point processes," Papers 1101.3422, arXiv.org.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Michael Ludkovski, 2011. "Liquidation in Limit Order Books with Controlled Intensity," Papers 1105.0247, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2012.
- Christian Y. Robert & Mathieu Rosenbaum, 2011. "A New Approach for the Dynamics of Ultra-High-Frequency Data: The Model with Uncertainty Zones," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(2), pages 344-366, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00867113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.