On the Confirmation of the Law of Demand
The paper relates the microeconomic law of demand to the theories of empirical confirmation that are developed by Hempel and Popper, respectively. After restating the Hicksian basis of consumer theory and stressing that this theory has never subjected the law to a rigorous test, the paper analyzes Hildenbrand's novel contribution. In Market Demand (1994), Hildenbrand offers an original derivation of the law of demand to the market, with a view of making it eventually possible to test the law. The article shows that Hildenbrand's approach makes sense within a neo-Hempelian, as opposed to a Popperian, outlook on empirical confirmation, and it uses the case itself to argue for the former against the latt.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00242978|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Mongin, 2007.
"L'a priori et l'a posteriori en économie,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 73(1), pages 5-53.
- Philippe Mongin, 2005. "L'apriori et l'a posteriori en économie," Working Papers hal-00243013, HAL.
- Philippe MONGIN, 2007. "L’a-priori et l’a posteriori en économie," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2007011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- MONGIN, Philippe, 2006. "L'a priori et l'a posteriori en Economie," Les Cahiers de Recherche 849, HEC Paris.
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," DELTA Working Papers 94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Discussion Papers 96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Department of Economics Working Papers 1994-02, McMaster University.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & Hildenbrand, Werner & Jerison, Michael, 1991. "Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1525-1549, November.
- HARDLE, Wolfgang & HILDENBRAND, Werner & JERISON, Michael, "undated". "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," CORE Discussion Papers RP 968, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Haerdle,W. Hildenbrand,W. Jerison,M., 1988. "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 193, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Wolfgang Härdle & Werner Hildenbrand & Michael Jerison, 1989. "Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 264a, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Blundell, Richard, 1988. "Consumer Behaviour: Theory and Empirical Evidence--a Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 16-65, March.
- George J. Stigler, 1947. "Notes on the History of the Giffen Paradox," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 152-152.
- Hicks, J. R., 1986. "A Revision of Demand Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198285502.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1983. "On the "Law of Demand."," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 997-1019, July.
- John S. Chipman & Jean-Sébastien Lenfant, 2002. "Slutsky's 1915 Article: How It Came to Be Found and Interpreted," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 553-597, Fall. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00242978. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.