On the Confirmation of the Law of Demand
The paper relates the microeconomic law of demand to the theories of empirical confirmation that are developed by Hempel and Popper, respectively. After restating the Hicksian basis of consumer theory and stressing that this theory has never subjected the law to a rigorous test, the paper analyzes Hildenbrand's novel contribution. In Market Demand (1994), Hildenbrand offers an original derivation of the law of demand to the market, with a view of making it eventually possible to test the law. The article shows that Hildenbrand's approach makes sense within a neo-Hempelian, as opposed to a Popperian, outlook on empirical confirmation, and it uses the case itself to argue for the former against the latt.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00242978|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hardle, Wolfgang & Hildenbrand, Werner & Jerison, Michael, 1991.
"Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1525-49, November.
- HARDLE, Wolfgang & HILDENBRAND, Werner & JERISON, Michael, . "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," CORE Discussion Papers RP 968, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Haerdle,W. Hildenbrand,W. Jerison,M., 1988. "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 193, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Wolfgang Härdle & Werner Hildenbrand & Michael Jerison, 1989. "Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 264a, University of Bonn, Germany.
- MONGIN, Philippe, 2006.
"L'a priori et l'a posteriori en Economie,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
849, HEC Paris.
- Philippe Mongin, 2005. "L'apriori et l'a posteriori en économie," Working Papers hal-00243013, HAL.
- Philippe MONGIN, 2007. "L’a-priori et l’a posteriori en économie," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2007011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- John S. Chipman & Jean-Sébastien Lenfant, 2002. "Slutsky's 1915 Article: How It Came to Be Found and Interpreted," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 553-597, Fall.
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996.
"Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests,"
96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Department of Economics Working Papers 1994-02, McMaster University.
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," DELTA Working Papers 94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Hicks, J. R., 1986. "A Revision of Demand Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198285502, December.
- Blundell, Richard, 1988. "Consumer Behaviour: Theory and Empirical Evidence--a Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 16-65, March.
- George J. Stigler, 1947. "Notes on the History of the Giffen Paradox," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 152.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1983. "On the "Law of Demand."," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 997-1019, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00242978. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.