External referencing and pharmaceutical price negotiation
External referencing (ER) imposes a price cap for pharmaceuticals based on prices of identical products in foreign countries. Suppose a foreign country (F) negotiates prices with a pharmaceutical firm while a home country (H) can either negotiate independently or implement ER based on the foreign price. We show that country H always prefers ER if (i) it can condition ER on the drug being subsidized in the foreign country and (ii) copayments are higher in H than in F. H's preference isreinforced when the difference between country copayments is large and/or H's population is small. External referencing by H always harms F if (ii) holds, but less so if (i) holds.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Cahiers de la Chaire Santé N°7, octobre 2010. 2010|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00955856|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2005.
"The impact of price regulation on the launch delay of new drugs-evidence from twenty-five major markets in the 1990s,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 269-292.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Y. Richard Wang & Liang Wang, 2003. "The Impact of Price Regulation on the Launch Delay of New Drugs - Evidence from Twenty-Five Major Markets in the 1990s," NBER Working Papers 9874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Cabrales & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2007. "The determinants of pricing in pharmaceuticals: Are U.S. prices really higher than those of Canada?," Economics Working Papers 1032, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Jiménez-Martín, Sergi, 2007. "The determinants of pricing in pharmaceuticals : are U.S. prices really higher than those of Canada?," UC3M Working papers. Economics we074021, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Antonio Cabrales & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2007. "The Determinants of Pricing in Pharmaceuticals: Are U.S. Prices Really Higher than Those of Canada?," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 697.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Antonio Cabrales & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2007. "The Determinants of Pricing in Pharmaceuticals: Are U.S. prices really higher than those of Canada?," Working Papers 304, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Heuer, Alexander & Mejer, Malwina & Neuhaus, Jennifer, 2007. "The national regulation of pharmaceutical markets and the timing of new drug launches in Europe," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 437, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Cross-national price differences for pharmaceuticals: how large, and why?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 159-195, March.
- Valérie Paris & Elizabeth Docteur, 2008. "Pharmaceutical Pricing and Reimbursement Policies in Germany," OECD Health Working Papers 39, OECD Publishing.
- Cooper, Thomas E. & Fries, Timothy L., 1991. "The most-favored-nation pricing policy and negotiated prices," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 209-223, June.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2007. "Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 88-99, February.
- Danzon, Patricia M & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Does Regulation Drive out Competition in Pharmaceutical Markets?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 311-357, October.
- Patricia Danzon, 1997. "Price Discrimination for Pharmaceuticals: Welfare Effects in the US and the EU," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 301-322.
- Pecorino, Paul, 2002. "Should the US allow prescription drug reimports from Canada?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 699-708, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)