Systemic risk in energy derivative markets: a graph theory analysis
This article uses graph theory to provide novel evidence regarding market integration, a favorable condition for systemic risk to appear in. Relying on daily futures returns covering a 12-year period, we examine cross- and inter-market linkages, both within the commodity complex and between commodities and other financial assets. In such a high dimensional analysis, graph theory enables us to understand the dynamic behavior of our price system. We show that energy markets - as a whole - stand at the heart of this system. We also establish that crude oil is itself at the center of the energy complex. Further, we provide evidence that commodity markets have become more integrated over time.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, 2012, 33 (6), pp.215-239|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00738201|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adusei Jumah & Sohbet Karbuz & Gerhard Runstler, 1999. "Interest rate differentials, market integration, and the efficiency of commodity futures markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 101-108.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bessler, David A., 2002.
"Causality And Price Discovery: An Application Of Directed Acyclic Graphs,"
2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri
19057, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Michael S. Haigh & David A. Bessler, 2004. "Causality and Price Discovery: An Application of Directed Acyclic Graphs," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1099-1121, October.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bessler, David A., 2002. "Causality And Price Discovery: An Application Of Directed Acyclic Graphs," Working Papers 28588, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/95 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1990.
"The Excess Co-movement of Commodity Prices,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1173-89, December.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1988. "The Excess Co-Movement of Commodity Prices," NBER Working Papers 2671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Rotemberg, Julio., 1987. "The excess co-movement of commodity prices," Working papers 1969-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00738201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.