New financial architecture and regional monetary integration in Latin America
Reducing transaction costs and the need for international reserves is a primary objective to the establishment of regional payment agreements. Another objective, especially in the case of Latin America where the Ecuadorian promoters of the Bank of the South and the New Architecture are planning the implement of a regional clearing system, is to reduce member countries dependence on the US dollar as an international standard and reserve currency. To help improving the design of such agreements this paper refers to the plan Keynes designed for the Bretton Woods Conference. First, it observes that cases were made against this plan from which useful lessons may still be drawn. Second, it shows that Keynes defined a system for exchanging domestic currencies for each other that can be improved and help design currency unions in accordance with their promoters'objectives.
|Date of creation:||14 May 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Colloque international "Économie politique internationale et nouvelles régulations de la mondialisation", Centre de Recherche sur l'Intégration Économique et Financière, Université de Poitiers, May 2009, Poitiers, France|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00390436|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-François Ponsot, 2006. "Dollarization and the hegemonic status of the US dollar," Post-Print halshs-00191564, HAL.
- Claude Gnos & Louis-Philippe Rochon, 2004.
"Reforming the international financial and monetary system: from Keynes to Davidson and Stiglitz,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 26(4), pages 613-629, October.
- Claude Gnos & Louis-Philippe Rochon, 2004. "Reforming the international financial and monetary system: from Keynes to Davidson and Stiglitz," Post-Print halshs-00006793, HAL.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-115, March.
- McKinnon, Ronald I, 1993. "The Rules of the Game: International Money in Historical Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 1-44, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00390436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.