Inflation targeting drawbacks in the absence of a 'natural' anchor
The economic performances of the Eurozone look weaker than those of the United States overthe period 1999-2006, in spite of the fact that the former applies more thoroughly the 'newmacroeconomics' governance rules concerning public deficits and inflation control. Theliterature emphasizes Alan Greenspan's pragmatism when discussing the relative success ofthe Fed, but the reasons why pragmatism ought to do better than a thorough application of the'new macroeconomics' theoretical recommendations remain unexplored. The paper focuses onthe advantage of monetary policy pragmatism in the face of Keynesian uncertainty. Morespecifically, it points out the trials of the 'new macroeconomics' principles of monetary policywhen they are implemented in a Keynesian context, that is, within a system which does nothave any 'natural' anchor.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00189225|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting: A Critical Appraisal,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_388, Levy Economics Institute.
- Tobin, James, 1975.
"Keynesian Models of Recession and Depression,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 195-202, May.
- Jérôme Creel & Jacky Fayolle, 2002.
"La Banque Centrale Européenne ou le Seigneur des euros,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(5), pages 175-210.
- Jérôme Creel & Jacky Fayolle, 2002. "La Banque centrale européenne ou le Seigneur des euros," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/3004, Sciences Po.
- Jérôme Creel & Jacky Fayolle, 2002. "La Banque centrale européenne ou le Seigneur des euros," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2967, Sciences Po.
- Philip Arestis & Georgios E. Chortareas, 2007. "Natural equilibrium real interest rate estimates and monetary policy design," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(4), pages 621-643, July.
- Paul Davidson, 2006. "Can, or should, a central bank inflation target?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(4), pages 689-703, July.
- Mordecai Kurz & Maurizio Motolese, .
"Endogenous Uncertainty and Market Volatility,"
99005, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Preston, Bruce, 2006. "Adaptive learning, forecast-based instrument rules and monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 507-535, April.
- L. Randall Wray, 2005.
"Monetary Policy Strategies of the European Central Bank and the Federal Reserve Bank of the U.S,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_431, Levy Economics Institute.
- L. Randall Wray & C. Sardoni, 2005. "Monetary Policy Strategies of the European Central Bank and the Federal Reserve Bank of the U.S," Macroeconomics 0511025, EconWPA.
- Philip Arestis, 2006. "New Monetary Policy and Keynes," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar, vol. 3(2), pages 245-262.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1994. "On the Structure and Diversity of Rational Beliefs," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(6), pages 877-900, October.
- Hinich, Melvin J. & Foster, John & Wild, Phillip, 2006. "Structural change in macroeconomic time series: A complex systems perspective," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 136-150, March.
- Thomas I. Palley, . "The Role of Institutions and Policies in Creating High European Unemployment: The Evidence," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_336, Levy Economics Institute.
- Giuseppe Fontana, 2006. "The Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank: a theoretical comparison of their legislative mandates," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(3), pages 433-450, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00189225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.