A methodology to avoid over-diversification of funds of equity funds An implementation case study for equity funds of funds in bull markets
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- John L. Evans & Stephen H. Archer, 1968. "Diversification And The Reduction Of Dispersion: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(5), pages 761-767, December.
- Lwin, Khin T. & Qu, Rong & MacCarthy, Bart L., 2017. "Mean-VaR portfolio optimization: A nonparametric approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 260(2), pages 751-766.
- Shaojun Guo & John Leigh Box & Wenyang Zhang, 2017. "A Dynamic Structure for High-Dimensional Covariance Matrices and Its Application in Portfolio Allocation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 112(517), pages 235-253, January.
- Andrew Ang & Matthew Rhodes-Kropf & Rui Zhao, 2008. "Do Funds-of-Funds Deserve Their Fees-on-Fees?," NBER Working Papers 13944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwert, G William & Seguin, Paul J, 1990. "Heteroskedasticity in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1129-1155, September.
- Victor DeMiguel & Lorenzo Garlappi & Francisco J. Nogales & Raman Uppal, 2009. "A Generalized Approach to Portfolio Optimization: Improving Performance by Constraining Portfolio Norms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(5), pages 798-812, May.
- Klapper, Leora & Sulla, Victor & Vittas, Dimitri, 2004. "The development of mutual funds around the world," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-38, March.
- MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1987. "On multivariate tests of the CAPM," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 341-371, June.
- Carretta, Alessandro & Mattarocci, Gianluca, 2005. "Funds of funds portfolio composition and its impact on the performance: evidence from the Italian market," MPRA Paper 4293, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2007.
- Simone Brands & David R. Gallagher, 2005. "Portfolio selection, diversification and fund‐of‐funds: a note," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 45(2), pages 185-197, July.
- Vincent Guigues, 2011. "Sensitivity analysis and calibration of the covariance matrix for stable portfolio selection," Computational Optimization and Applications, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 553-579, April.
- André A.P. Santos, 2015. "Beating the market with small portfolios: Evidence from Brazil," Economia, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³s-GraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 16(1), pages 22-31.
- Ulf, Herold & Raimond, Maurer, 2006. "Portfolio Choice and Estimation Risk. A Comparison of Bayesian to Heuristic Approaches," ASTIN Bulletin, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 135-160, May.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J, 1973. "Estimating the Dependence Structure of Share Prices-Implications for Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(5), pages 1203-1232, December.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Yu Zheng & Timothy M. Hospedales & Yongxin Yang, 2018. "Diversity and Sparsity: A New Perspective on Index Tracking," Papers 1809.01989, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2020.
- Carroll, Rachael & Conlon, Thomas & Cotter, John & Salvador, Enrique, 2017. "Asset allocation with correlation: A composite trade-off," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 262(3), pages 1164-1180.
- Chen, Jia & Li, Degui & Linton, Oliver, 2019.
"A new semiparametric estimation approach for large dynamic covariance matrices with multiple conditioning variables,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 212(1), pages 155-176.
- Jia Chen & Degui Li & Oliver Linton, 2018. "A New Semiparametric Estimation Approach for Large Dynamic Covariance Matrices with Multiple Conditioning Variables," Discussion Papers 18/14, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Chen, J. & Li, D. & Linton, O., 2018. "A New Semiparametric Estimation Approach for Large Dynamic Covariance Matrices with Multiple Conditioning Variables," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1876, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew F. Siegel, 2003.
"Stochastic Discount Factor Bounds with Conditioning Information,"
Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(2), pages 567-595.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew Siegel, 2002. "Stochastic Discount Factor Bounds with Conditioning Information," NBER Working Papers 8789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lam, Clifford, 2020. "High-dimensional covariance matrix estimation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 101667, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zhe Chen & F Douglas Foster & David R Gallagher & Adrian D Lee, 2013. "Does portfolio emulation outperform its target funds?," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 38(2), pages 401-427, August.
- K. Liagkouras & K. Metaxiotis, 2019. "Improving the performance of evolutionary algorithms: a new approach utilizing information from the evolutionary process and its application to the fuzzy portfolio optimization problem," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 272(1), pages 119-137, January.
- S. G. M. Fifield & D. M. Power & C. D. Sinclair, 2002. "Emerging stock markets: a more realistic assessment of the gains from diversification," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 213-229.
- Cui, Wei & Yao, Juan, 2020. "Funds of hedge funds: Are they really the high society for little guys?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 346-361.
- Levy, Moshe & Ritov, Yaacov, 2001. "Portfolio Optimization with Many Assets: The Importance of Short-Selling," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt41x4t67m, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Vitali Alexeev & Mardi Dungey, 2015.
"Equity portfolio diversification with high frequency data,"
Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7), pages 1205-1215, July.
- Alexeev, Vitali & Dungey, Mardi, 2013. "Equity portfolio diversification with high frequency data," Working Papers 2013-18, University of Tasmania, Tasmanian School of Business and Economics, revised 01 Nov 2013.
- Isaac T. Tabner, 2012. "In Defence of Capitalisation Weights: Evidence from the FTSE 100 and S&P 500 Indices," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 18(1), pages 142-161, January.
- Lassance, Nathan & Vrins, Frédéric, 2019.
"Robust portfolio selection using sparse estimation of comoment tensors,"
LIDAM Discussion Papers LFIN
2019007, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Louvain Finance (LFIN).
- Lassance, Nathan & Vrins, Frédéric, 2020. "Robust portfolio selection using sparse estimation of comoment tensors," LIDAM Discussion Papers LFIN 2020003, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Louvain Finance (LFIN).
- Florian Methling & Rüdiger Nitzsch, 2019. "Naïve diversification in thematic investing: heuristics for the core satellite investor," Journal of Asset Management, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(7), pages 568-580, December.
- Gopal K. Basak & Ravi Jagannathan & Tongshu Ma, 2004. "A Jackknife Estimator for Tracking Error Variance of Optimal Portfolios Constructed Using Estimated Inputs1," NBER Working Papers 10447, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vitali Alexeev & Mardi Dungey & Wenying Yao, 2016. "Continuous and Jump Betas: Implications for Portfolio Diversification," Econometrics, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(2), pages 1-15, June.
- Florin Aliu & Besnik Krasniqi & Adriana Knapkova & Fisnik Aliu, 2019. "Interdependence and Risk Comparison of Slovak, Hungarian and Polish Stock Markets: Policy and Managerial Implications," Acta Oeconomica, Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 69(2), pages 273-287, June.
- Louis K.C. Chan & Jason Karceski & Josef Lakonishok, 1999. "On Portfolio Optimization: Forecasting Covariances and Choosing the Risk Model," NBER Working Papers 7039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacobsen, Brian J. & Liu, Xiaochun, 2008. "China's segmented stock market: An application of the conditional international capital asset pricing model," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 153-173, September.
- Zhe Chen & F. Douglas Foster & David R. Gallagher & Adrian D. Lee & Steven Cahan, 2015. "A model of emulation funds," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 55(3), pages 717-748, September.
More about this item
Keywordsfunds of funds; Mean-Variance optimization; market expectations; over-diversification; clustering method;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-03027770. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD). General contact details of provider: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.