Ageing and retirement age. What can we learn from the Overlapping Generations Model ?
In this paper, the two-period OLG model has been modified to distinguish the effects of individual ageing from changes in the birth rate. Optimal pension and retirement age policies have been characterized in a dynamic framework. We have considered a mixed pension scheme that is fully funded, but offers agents an actuarially fair choice on their retirement age. We show that this mixed pension scheme makes it possible to implement the optimal solution. The numerical simulations describe the dilemmas France currently faces.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00452561|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de la Croix,David & Michel,Philippe, 2002.
"A Theory of Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521806428.
- Philippe Michel & Pierre Pestieau, 2000. "Retraite par répartition et âge de la retraite," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 51(1), pages 15-30.
- Mark Gertler, 1997.
"Government Debt and Social Security in a Life-Cycle Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
6000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Government debt and social security in a life-cycle economy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 61-110, June.
- Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Government Debt and Social Security in a Life-Cycle Economy," Working Papers 97-14, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- CREMER, Helmuth & LOZACHMEUR, Jean-Marie & PESTIEAU, Pierre, .
"Social security, retirement age and optimal income taxation,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1722, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, Helmuth & Lozachmeur, Jean-Marie & Pestieau, Pierre, 2004. "Social security, retirement age and optimal income taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(11), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Helmuth Cremer & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur & Pierre Pestieau, 2002. "Social Security, Retirement Age and Optimal Income Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 693, CESifo Group Munich.
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Pascal Belan & Pierre Pestieau, 1999.
"Privatizing Social Security: A Critical Assessment,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 114-130, January.
- BELAN, Pascal & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1997. "Privatizing social security: a critical assessment," CORE Discussion Papers 1997084, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Didier Blanchet & Louis-Paul Pele, 1997.
"Social Security and Retirement in France,"
NBER Working Papers
6214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00452561. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.