Green protectionism: the case of textile-clothing sector (In French)
This paper analyses the evolution of the textile-clothing sector in Europe. This industry is characterised by China\'s accession to the WTO in 2001 and the dismantling of quotas with the end of the Agreement on Textiles and Clothing on 1 January 2005. Since the 90\'s, the European directives on environmental standards and ecolabels have been increased in this industry. Our methodology is based on Factorial Analysis of Correspondence and a Hierarchical Ascendant Classification, to demonstrate the role of environmental standards in the structuring of clothing imported products. A gravity model is used to examine the negative effect of eco-labels on European imports from developing countries which are penalized by the costs of compliance of their products. The success of the spread of eco-labels is that they are an instrument of trade protection. While it is difficult to isolate the impact of environmental standards on trade. Nevertheless, our results confirm their strategic use in the Textile-clothing sector.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001.
"Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade,"
CEPII research center, issue 87, pages 107-130.
- Beghin, John C. & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2001. "Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5119, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John C. & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2005. "Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12740, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick A. Messerlin, 2001. "Measuring the Costs of Protection in Europe: European Commercial Policy in the 2000s," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 102, January.
- Trela, I. & Whalley, J., 1988.
"Do Developing Countries Lose From The Mfa?,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
8804c, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Ronald Fischer & Pablo Serra, 1998.
"Standards and Protection,"
Documentos de Trabajo
45, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Simpson, R. David & Bradford, Robert III, 1996. "Taxing Variable Cost: Environmental Regulation as Industrial Policy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 282-300, May.
- Josh Ederington & Jenny Minier, 2003.
"Is environmental policy a secondary trade barrier? An empirical analysis,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 137-154, February.
- Josh Ederington & Jenny Minier, 2000. "Is Environmental Policy a Secondary Trade Barrier? An Empirical Analysis," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1507, Econometric Society.
- Sophie Lavallée & Kristin Bartenstein, 2004. "La régulation et l'harmonisation internationale des programmes d'écolabels sur les produits et les services," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-40, CIRANO.
- Mattias Ganslandt & James R. Markusen, 2001. "Standards and Related Regulations in International Trade: A Modeling Approach," NBER Working Papers 8346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nimon, Wesley & Beghin, John C., 1999.
"Ecolabels and International Trade in the Textile and Apparel Market,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
1886, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Wesley Nimon & John Beghin, 1999. "Ecolabels and International Trade in the Textile and Apparel Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1078-1083.
- Ulph, Alistair, 1996. "Environmental Policy and International Trade when Governments and Producers Act Strategically," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 265-281, May.
- Pincus, J J, 1975. "Pressure Groups and the Pattern of Tariffs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(4), pages 757-78, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2010-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.