Social networks in the entrepreneurial career: life-stories analysis of informal entrepreneurs in Bobo-Dioulasso (Burkina-Faso) (In French)
This paper analyzes the evolution and transformation of social relations and networks of access to resources during the professional career of micro entrepreneurs in the informal African urban economy. Our analysis of social networks fits in the ‘structural embeddedness’ framework of Granovetter (1985) associated with a dynamic perspective of social relations. This perspective allows taking into account the temporal dimension of embeddedness, and its links with others social mediations, as communities, organizations and formal institutions. With such a view, embeddedness is analyzed with its reverse, the decoupling that is to say how actors and structures become independent from social relations (White, 1992). From a methodological standpoint, our analysis of life-stories of micro and small entrepreneurs of Bobo-Dioulasso (Burkina-Faso) combines qualitative and quantitative methods. It suggests that social networks and interpersonal relations of access to resources are constructed through a long-time process. Thus they can not be so easily and quickly mobilized by the entrepreneurs as it is sometimes suggested in social capital approaches. We then observe a co-construction phenomenon of social networks and activity that undermine the view of social capital as a substitute for lack of personal resources. The development and resilience of micro and small activities are directly linked to the professionalization and the stabilization of the network; and even the institutionalization of access to resources. However, it should not mask strong inequalities among entrepreneurs according to their initial social network and the dynamic of their business environment.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.75
Fax: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durlauf, Steven N. & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2005.
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 26, pages 1639-1699
- Steven Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," Development and Comp Systems 0409060, EconWPA.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Fafchamps,M., 2004. "Social capital," Working papers 12, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-14, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," NBER Working Papers 10485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Steven N. Durlauf, 2004. "Social Capital," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-14, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Abigail M. Barr, 2002. "The Functional Diversity and Spillover Effects of Social Capital," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(1), pages 90-113, March.
- Brautigam, Deborah, 1997. "Substituting for the state: Institutions and industrial development in eastern Nigeria," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1063-1080, July.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 2000. "Ethnicity and credit in African manufacturing," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 205-235, February.
- Jack, Sarah L., 2010. "Approaches to studying networks: Implications and outcomes," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 120-137, January.
- Lyon, Fergus, 2000. "Trust, Networks and Norms: The Creation of Social Capital in Agricultural Economies in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 663-681, April.
- Hoang, Ha & Antoncic, Bostjan, 2003. "Network-based research in entrepreneurship: A critical review," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 165-187, March.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Minten, Bart, 1998.
"Relationships and traders in Madagascar,"
MTID discussion papers
24, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Bart Minten, 2001. "Social Capital and Agricultural Trade," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 680-685.
- Cleaver, Frances, 2005. "The inequality of social capital and the reproduction of chronic poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 893-906, June.
- Irene van Staveren & Peter Knorringa, 2007. "Unpacking social capital in Economic Development: How social relations matter," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 65(1), pages 107-135.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2010-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.