The Tax Sparing Provision Influence: A Credit versus Exempt Investors Analysis
This paper is concerned with the impact of tax sparing provisions on the location choices of multinational enterprises. Special attention is paid to the economic in°uence of tax sparing because the OECD proposal to reconsider the inclusion of this provision in bilateral tax treaties is highly controversial. An empirical analysis is proposed in order to apprehend the effects of tax sparing on both credit and exempt investors, since they do not benefit from the same advantages provided by tax sparing. Using data from 54 developing countries over the 1990-2000, and distinguishing Japanese credit investors from French exempt investors, we first find that the asymmetrical sensitivity between exempt and credit investors relative to foreign corporate taxes is considerably reduced with tax measures accounting for tax sparing. Second, we find that tax sparing provisions have a favorable impact on the location choices of credit investors and have no influence on the location choices of exempt investors. Third, the non-robust significance of both a tax sparing adjusted effective interest tax rate and effective royalties tax rate tends to suggest that tax incentives on passive incomes are not really considered by both credit and exempt investors when making the decision of where to invest.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adam Smith Building, Glasgow G12 8RT|
Phone: 0141 330 4618
Fax: 0141 330 4940
Web page: http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/business/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Globerman, Steven & Shapiro, Daniel, 2002. "Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1899-1919, November.
- Gropp, Reint & Kostial, Kristina, 2000. "The disappearing tax base: is foreign direct investment eroding corporate income taxes?," Working Paper Series 0031, European Central Bank.
- Joeri Gorter & A. Parikh, 2000. "How mobile is capital within the European Union?," CPB Research Memorandum 172, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2007.
"Do tax sparing agreements contribute to the attraction of FDI in developing countries?,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 14(5), pages 543-562, October.
- Céline Azemar & Rodolphe Desbordes & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2007. "Do tax sparing agreements contribute to the attraction of FDI in developing countries?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00310534, HAL.
- Céline Azémar & Rodolphe Desbordes & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "Do tax sparing agreements contribute to the attraction of FDI in developing countries ?," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04047, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gla:glaewp:2007_31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeanette Findlay)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.