Free Trade vs Strategic Trade: A Peek into Pandora's Box
We investigate whether a welfare-maximising government ought to pursue a program of strategic trade intervention or instead commit itself to free trade when, in the former case, domestic firms will have an opportunity to manipulate the government's choice of the level of intervention. Domestic firms may overinvest in physical and knowledge capital in a regime of strategic intervention in order to influence the government's choice of subsidy.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (609) 258-4800
Web page: http://www.wws.princeton.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1983.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy,"
NBER Working Papers
1192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spencer, Barbara J & Brander, James A, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 707-22, October.
- Qui, Larry D., 1994. "Optimal strategic trade policy under asymmetric information," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3-4), pages 333-354, May.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou, 1995. "Strategic Export Promotion in the Absence of Government Precommitment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(2), pages 407-26, May.
- Neary, James Peter, 1991.
"Cost asymmetries in international subsidy games: Should governments help winners or losers?,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
147, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Neary, J. Peter, 1994. "Cost asymmetries in international subsidy games: Should governments help winners or losers?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 197-218, November.
- Neary, J Peter, 1991. "Cost Asymmetries in International Subsidy Games: Should Governments Help Winners or Losers?," CEPR Discussion Papers 560, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Maggi, G & Rodriguez-Clare, A, 1996.
"The Value of Trade Agreements in the Presence of Political Pressures,"
180, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Giovanni Maggi & Andres Rodriguez-Clare, 1998. "The Value of Trade Agreements in the Presence of Political Pressures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(3), pages 574-601, June.
- Maggi, Giovanni, 1999.
"Strategic Trade Policy under Incomplete Information,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 571-94, August.
- Maggi, G., 1997. "Strategic Trade Policy Under Incomplete Information," Papers 189, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Schulman, Craig T, 1997. "Free Entry, Quasi-free Trade, and Strategic Export Policy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 83-100, February.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:priwpu:190. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.