The real business cycle: intermediate inputs and sectoral comovement
We describe the postwar U.S. business cycle for the durable and nondurable goods producing sector. The business cycle is characterized by positive comovement of output, employment, and investment across the two sectors. We develop a two sector growth model to explain the observed pattern of comovements, and suggest that intermediate inputs produced by the nondurable goods sector for the durable goods sector play a crucial role.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin & Dicks-Mireaux, Louis & Poterba, James, 1983.
"The effective tax rate and the pretax rate of return,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 129-158, July.
- Martin Feldstein & James M. Poterba & Louis Dicks-Mireaux, 1981. "The Effective Tax Rate and the Pretax Rate of Return," NBER Working Papers 0740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986.
"Theory ahead of business cycle measurement,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 9-22.
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- Lucas, Robert E., 1977. "Understanding business cycles," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 7-29, January.
- Martin S. Eichenbaum & Lars Peter Hansen, 1987.
"Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data,"
NBER Working Papers
2181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichenbaum, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter, 1990. "Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Hansen, Gary D., 1997.
"Technical progress and aggregate fluctuations,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1005-1023, June.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Zvi Hercowitz & Per Krusell, 1992.
"Macroeconomic implications of investment-specific technological change,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
76, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hercowitz, Z., 1992. "Macroeconomic Implication of Investment-Specific Technological Change," Papers 13-92, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z. & Krusell, P., 1992. "Macroeconomic Implications of Investment-Specific Technological Change," Papers 527, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Costello, D.M. & Praschnik, J., 1993. "Intermediate Goods and the Transmission of International Business Cycles," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9305, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Jess Benhabib & Richard Rogerson & Randall Wright, 1991.
"Homework in macroeconomics: household production and aggregate fluctuations,"
135, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rogerson, Richard & Wright, Randall, 1991. "Homework in Macroeconomics: Household Production and Aggregate Fluctuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1166-87, December.
- Brunner, Karl & Meltzer, Allan H., 1977. "Stabilization of the domestic and international economy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1978. "Growth Accounting with Intermediate Inputs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 511-18, October.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi, 1991.
"The Allocation of Capital and Time over the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1188-214, December.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z., 1991. "The Allocation of Capital and Time Over the Business Cycles," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9104, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z., 1991. "The Allocation of Capital and Time Over the Business Cycle," RCER Working Papers 268, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Christiano, Lawrence J., 1988. "Why does inventory investment fluctuate so much?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 247-280.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-68, August.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1990. "Supply-Side Economics: An Analytical Review," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 293-316, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmem:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.