Problems in the numerical simulation of models with heterogeneous agents and economic distortions
Our work has been concerned with the numerical simulation of dynamic economies with heterogeneous agents and economic distortions. Recent research has drawn attention to inherent difficulties in the computation of competitive equilibria for these economies: A continuous Markovian solution may fail to exist, and some commonly used numerical algorithms may not deliver accurate approximations. We consider a reliable algorithm set forth in Feng et al. (2009), and discuss problems related to the existence and computation of Markovian equilibria, as well as convergence and accuracy properties. We offer new insights into numerical simulation.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffie, Darrell, et al, 1994. "Stationary Markov Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 745-81, July.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic,"
RCER Working Papers
399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Felix Kubler & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2004. "Stationary Markov equilibria for overlapping generations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 24(3), pages 623-643, October.
- Kydland, Finn E. & Prescott, Edward C., 1980. "Dynamic optimal taxation, rational expectations and optimal control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 79-91, May.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2003.
"Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models,"
666156000000000264, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Manuel S. Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva, 2005. "Accuracy of Simulations for Stochastic Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(6), pages 1939-1976, November.
- Peralta Alva, Adrián & Santos, Manuel S., 2003. "Accuracy of simulations for stochastic dynamic models," UC3M Working papers. Economics we034615, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2009.
"Numerical simulation of nonoptimal dynamic equilibrium models,"
2009-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta‐Alva & Manuel S. Santos, 2014. "Numerical Simulation Of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 83-110, 02.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manuel S. Santos, . "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-013, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Zhigang Feng & Jianjun Miao & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Manual Santos, 2009. "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," Working Papers 0912, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Zhigang Feng & Manuel Santos & Adrian Peralta-Alva & Jianjun Miao, 2009. "Numerical Simulation of Nonoptimal Dynamic Equilibrium Models," 2009 Meeting Papers 541, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2002. "Recursive Equilibria In Economies With Incomplete Markets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 284-306, April.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Blume, Lawrence E., 1982. "New techniques for the study of stochastic equilibrium processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 61-70, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2009-036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.