Market microstructure effects on the direct measurement of the early exercise premium in exchange-listed options
The Chicago Board Options Exchange concurrently listed European-style and American-style options on the Standard and Poor?s 500 Index from April 2, 1986 through June 20, 1986. We match near-the-money American option quotes with the most nearly contemporaneous, otherwise identical, European option quote. In this unique sample, the bid-ask spread for the American options is twice as large as the bid-ask spread for the European options. We find that the differences in the size of the bid-ask spreads and non-contemporaneous observations create an errors-in-variables problem that, if ignored, contaminates direct measures of the early exercise premium for American options. Our findings call into question other empirical measures of the early exercise premium that do not take into account these microstructure effects. We illustrate our errors-in-variable interpretation with a simulation of regressing American trades on European trades.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomeyer, Edward C. & Johnson, Herb, 1988. "An Empirical Examination of the Pricing of American Put Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 13-22, March.
- Phillips, Susan M. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 1980. "Trading costs for listed options : The implications for market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 179-201, June.
- Paul Dawson, 1994. "Comparative pricing of American and European index options: An empirical analysis," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 363-378, 05.
- Philippe Jorion & Neal M. Stoughton, 1989. "An empirical investigation of the early exercise premium of foreign currency options," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(5), pages 365-375, October.
- Harvey, Campbell R & Whaley, Robert E, 1991. " S&P 100 Index Option Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1251-61, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Sung, Hyun Mo, 1995. "The Early Exercise Premia of American Put Options on Stocks," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 365-73, December.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Robert E. Whaley, 1992. "Dividends and S&P 100 index option valuation," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 123-137, 04.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Dan W. French & Edwin D. Maberly, 1992.
"Early Exercise Of American Index Options,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 15(2), pages 127-137, 06.
- Kamara, Avraham & Miller, Thomas W., 1995. "Daily and Intradaily Tests of European Put-Call Parity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 519-539, December.
- Whaley, Robert E., 1982. "Valuation of American call options on dividend-paying stocks : Empirical tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 29-58, March.
- Vijh, Anand M, 1990. " Liquidity of the CBOE Equity Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1157-79, September.
- MacBeth, James D & Merville, Larry J, 1979. "An Empirical Examination of the Black-Scholes Call Option Pricing Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1173-86, December.
- Figlewski, Stephen, 1984. " Hedging Performance and Basis Risk in Stock Index Futures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 657-69, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:1996-013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.