A primer on farm mortgage debt relief programs during the 1930s
This paper describes New Deal farm mortgage debt relief programs, implemented through the Federal Land Banks and the Land Bank Commissioner. Along with the Home Owners' Loan Corporation, the analogous program for nonfarm residential mortgage borrowers, these were the first large-scale mortgage debt relief programs in US history.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Howard H. Preston, 1936. "Our Farm Credit System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 673-684.
- repec:nbr:nberbk:saul58-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rucker, Randal R & Alston, Lee J, 1987. "Farm Failures and Government Intervention: A Case Study of the 1930' s," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 724-30, September.
- Alston, Lee J., 1983. "Farm Foreclosures in the United States During the Interwar Period," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 885-903, December.
- Raymond J. Saulnier & Harold G. Halcrow & Neil H. Jacoby, 1958. "Federal Lending and Loan Insurance Programs for Housing," NBER Chapters, in: Federal Lending and Loan Insurance, pages 286-362 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Price V. Fishback & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Shawn Kantor & Jaret Treber, 2011.
"The Influence of the Home Owners' Loan Corporation on Housing Markets During the 1930s,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 1782-1813.
- Price V. Fishback & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William Horrace & Shawn E. Kantor & Jaret Treber, 2010. "The Influence of the Home Owners' Loan Corporation on Housing Markets During the 1930s," NBER Working Papers 15824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:nbr:nberbk:fish12-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:nbr:nberbk:harr51-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alston, Lee J, 1984. "Farm Foreclosure Moratorium Legislation: A Lesson from the Past," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 445-57, June.
- H. C. M. Case, 1935. "Farm Debt Adjustments," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 290-300.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2013-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marlene Vikor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.