Are price limits on futures markets that cool? Evidence from the Brazilian Mercantile and Futures Exchange
This paper investigates the impact of price limits on the Brazilian futures markets using high frequency data. The aim is to identify whether there is a cool-off or a magnet effect. For that purpose, we examine a tick-by-tick data set that includes all contracts on the S�o Paulo stock index futures traded on the Brazilian Mercantile and Futures Exchange from January 1997 to December 1999. The results indicate that the conditional mean features a floor cool-off effect, whereas the conditional variance significantly increases as the price approaches the upper limit. We then build a trading strategy that accounts for the cool-off effect in the conditional mean so as to demonstrate that the latter has not only statistical, but also economic significance. The in-sample Sharpe ratio indeed is way superior to the buy-and-hold benchmarks we consider, whereas out-of-sample results evince similar performances.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kodres, Laura E & O'Brien, Daniel P, 1994. "The Existence of Pareto-Superior Price Limits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 919-32, September.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
2481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1994. " Circuit Breakers and Market Volatility: A Theoretical Perspective," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 237-54, March.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- Brennan, Michael J., 1986. "A theory of price limits in futures markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 213-233, June.
- Kim, Kenneth & Rhee, S Ghon, 1997. " Price Limit Performance: Evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 885-99, June.
- Ser-Huang Poon & Clive W.J. Granger, 2003. "Forecasting Volatility in Financial Markets: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 478-539, June.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, .
"An Econometric Analysis of Nonsyschronous-Trading,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
19-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Timo Teräsvirta & Marcelo C. Medeiros & Gianluigi Rech, 2006.
"Building neural network models for time series: a statistical approach,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 49-75.
- Medeiros, Marcelo C. & Teräsvirta, Timo & Rech, Gianluigi, 2002. "Building neural network models for time series: A statistical approach," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 508, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Marcelo C. Medeiros & Timo Terasvirta & Gianluigi Rech, 2002. "Building Neural Network Models for Time Series: A Statistical Approach," Textos para discussão 461, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Dhrymes, Phoebus J., 1986. "Limited dependent variables," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1567-1631 Elsevier.
- Marcelle Arak & Richard Cook, 1997. "Do Daily Price Limits Act as Magnets? The Case of Treasury Bond Futures," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 5-20, August.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Nanda, Vikram, 1998. "Leverage and Market Stability: The Role of Margin Rules and Price Limits," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(2), pages 179-210, April.
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & White, Halbert & Granger, Clive W. J., 1993.
"Testing for neglected nonlinearity in time series models : A comparison of neural network methods and alternative tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 269-290, April.
- Tom Doan, . "REGWHITENNTEST: RATS procedure to perform White neural network test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00183, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGRESET: RATS procedure to perform Ramsey RESET test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00181, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1991. "On the application of robust, regression- based diagnostics to models of conditional means and conditional variances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Cho, David D. & Russell, Jeffrey & Tiao, George C. & Tsay, Ruey, 2003. "The magnet effect of price limits: evidence from high-frequency data on Taiwan Stock Exchange," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 133-168, February.
- Geert Bekaert & Stephen F. Gray, 1999.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
5445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Gray, Stephen F., 1998. "Target zones and exchange rates:: An empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 1-35, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:epgewp:630. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.