Purchasing power parity and the unit root tests: a robust analysis
Empirical evidence suggests that real exchange rate is characterized by the presence of near-unity and additive outliers. Recent studeis have found evidence on favor PPP reversion by using the quasi-differencing (Elliott et al., 1996) unit root tests (ERS), which is more efficient against local alternatives but is still based on least squares estimation. Unit root tests basead on least saquares method usually tend to bias inference towards stationarity when additive out liers are present. In this paper, we incorporate quasi-differencing into M-estimation to construct a unit root test that is robust not only against near-unity root but also against nonGaussian behavior provoked by assitive outliers. We re-visit the PPP hypothesis and found less evidemce in favor PPP reversion when non-Gaussian behavior in real exchange rates is taken into account.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900|
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costa, Cristiano M. & Ferreira, Daniel & Moreira, Humberto, 2005.
"Biased managers, organizational design, and incentive provision,"
Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 379-385, March.
- Moreira, Humberto Ataíde & Costa, Cristiano Machado & Ferreira, Daniel Bernardo Soares, 2004. "Biased managers, organizational design, and incentive provision," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 525, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Assunção, Juliano Junqueira & Moreira, Humberto Ataíde, 2004.
"Land taxes in a Latin American context,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
526, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Cavalcanti, Ricardo de Oliveira & Forno, Henrique Dezemone, 2004. "Money with Bank Networks," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 545, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Ferreira, Pedro Cavalcanti & Salvato, Márcio Antônio & Duarte, Angelo José Mont'Alverne, 2004. "Regional or educational disparities? a counterfactual exercise," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 532, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:epgewp:552. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.