The Evolution of Adult Height Across Spanish Regions 1950-1980: A New Source of Data
This paper presents new evidence on the evolution of adult height across Spanish regions for cohorts born between 1950 and 1980 using the available augmented sample of the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) for Spain. This augmented sample is available only for the year 2000, and collects self-reported height data representative at the Spanish region level (Comunidad Autónoma). Our main findings show that female average height experienced an increase of 4 cm between 1950 and 1980, while male average height increased by 5 cm. We also make available a new dataset of quinquennial mean heights across Spanish regions, in a conventionally accessible form, which allows researchers to study the determinants of population heights by means of a within-country analysis.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaume Garcia Villar & Climent Quintana-Domeque, 2006.
"The evolution of adult height in Europe: A brief note,"
Economics Working Papers
1002, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 2007.
- Garcia, Jaume & Quintana-Domeque, Climent, 2007. "The evolution of adult height in Europe: A brief note," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 340-349, July.
- Angus S. Deaton & Raksha Arora, 2009.
"Life at the top: the benefits of height,"
NBER Working Papers
15090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gil, Joan & Mora, Toni, 2011.
"The determinants of misreporting weight and height: The role of social norms,"
Economics & Human Biology,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 78-91, January.
- Joan Gil & Toni Mora, 2009. "The Determinants of Misreporting Weight and Height: The Role of Social Norms," Working Papers 2009-01, FEDEA.
- Carrión, José M. Martínez, 1994. "Niveles de vida y desarrollo económico en la España contemporánea: Una visión antropométrica," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 685-716, December.
- Lundborg, Petter & Nystedt, Paul & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2009. "The Height Premium in Earnings: The Role of Physical Capacity and Cognitive and Non-Cognitive Skills," IZA Discussion Papers 4266, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard H. Steckel, 2008.
"Heights and Human Welfare: Recent Developments and New Directions,"
NBER Working Papers
14536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steckel, Richard H., 2009. "Heights and human welfare: Recent developments and new directions," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Carlos Bozzoli & Angus Deaton & Climent Quintana, 2008.
"Adult height and childhood disease,"
- Anne Case & Christina Paxson, 2006.
"Stature and Status: Height, Ability, and Labor Market Outcomes,"
NBER Working Papers
12466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Case & Christina Paxson, 2008. "Stature and Status: Height, Ability, and Labor Market Outcomes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(3), pages 499-532, 06.
- Anne Case & Christina Paxson, 2006. "Stature and status: Height, ability, and labor market outcomes," Working Papers 232, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Anne Case & Christina Paxson, 2006. "Stature and status: Height, ability, and labor market outcomes," Working Papers 27, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Cole, T. J., 2003. "The secular trend in human physical growth: a biological view," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 161-168, June.
- María-Dolores, Ramón & Martínez-Carrión, José Miguel, 2011. "The relationship between height and economic development in Spain, 1850-1958," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Quintana-Domeque, Climent & Bozzoli, Carlos & Bosch, Mariano, 2011. "Infant mortality and adult stature in Spain," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(11), pages 1893-1903, June.
- Batty, G. David & Shipley, Martin J. & Gunnell, David & Huxley, Rachel & Kivimaki, Mika & Woodward, Mark & Lee, Crystal Man Ying & Smith, George Davey, 2009. "Height, wealth, and health: An overview with new data from three longitudinal studies," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 137-152, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2010-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.