Multiplicity, Overtaking and Convergence in the Lucas Two-Sector Growth Model
This paper provides the complete closed-form solution to the Lucas two-sector model of endogenous growth. We study the issues of existence, unique-ness, multiplicity, positivity, transitional dynamics and long-run growth, re-lated to the competitive equilibrium paths. We identify the parameter range where the different results hold and deduce the entire trajectories for the original variables. We revise the results on convergence and overtaking which arise from this model, and prove that the parameterization currently used as the background for an explanation of economic miracles and disasters, is not satisfactory because of its counterintuitive implications.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ortigueira, Salvador & Santos, Manuel S, 1997. "On the Speed of Convergence in Endogenous Growth Models," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 383-99, June.
- James A. Schmitz, 1993. "Early progress on the "problem of economic development"," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 17-35.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1993. "Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 739-773.
- Benhabib Jess & Perli Roberto, 1994. "Uniqueness and Indeterminacy: On the Dynamics of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-142, June.
- J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit & M. Ventura-Marco, . "The Reduction of Dimension in the Study of Economic Growth Models," Working Papers 2001-13, FEDEA.
- Parente, Stephen L & Prescott, Edward C, 1994. "Barriers to Technology Adoption and Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 298-321, April.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Caballe, Jordi & Santos, Manuel S, 1993. "On Endogenous Growth with Physical and Human Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 1042-67, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2002-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.