Multiplicity, Overtaking and Convergence in the Lucas Two-Sector Growth Model
This paper provides the complete closed-form solution to the Lucas two-sector model of endogenous growth. We study the issues of existence, unique-ness, multiplicity, positivity, transitional dynamics and long-run growth, re-lated to the competitive equilibrium paths. We identify the parameter range where the different results hold and deduce the entire trajectories for the original variables. We revise the results on convergence and overtaking which arise from this model, and prove that the parameterization currently used as the background for an explanation of economic miracles and disasters, is not satisfactory because of its counterintuitive implications.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James A. Schmitz, 1993. "Early progress on the "problem of economic development"," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 17-35.
- Benhabib Jess & Perli Roberto, 1994. "Uniqueness and Indeterminacy: On the Dynamics of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-142, June.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1993.
"Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 739-773.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1992. "Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 3986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mulligan, C.B. & Sala-i-Martin, X., 1992. "Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth," Papers 651, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Parente, Stephen L & Prescott, Edward C, 1994. "Barriers to Technology Adoption and Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 298-321, April.
- Caballe, Jordi & Santos, Manuel S, 1993. "On Endogenous Growth with Physical and Human Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 1042-1067, December.
- Ortigueira, Salvador & Santos, Manuel S, 1997. "On the Speed of Convergence in Endogenous Growth Models," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 383-399, June.
- J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit & M. Ventura-Marco, "undated". "The Reduction of Dimension in the Study of Economic Growth Models," Working Papers 2001-13, FEDEA.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)